Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Redundancy / esa

Hello im lisa aged 45.
I try to work 25 hours a week in a convenience store but the work and cashier job I do  i am struggling  badly, I have been told a week ago that my boss has sold the business the next day my new bosses arrived. They won't tell us if I still have a job as there is a four week transition period. Ok so my query is I'm registered severely sighted diabetic t1 and have RA. I get high and medium pip. So if I take redundancy (which i dont know if thats an option and ive been there 10 years) can I then apply for esa or something else this is all New to me and I'm very confused. I don't know wot to do can't sleep worrying. Would be grateful for any advice..x


  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi Lisa,
    Your entitlement to ESA will depend on several things:-
    Before even thinking about ESA, check that you are still able to claim is, as some areas are now only able to claim Universal Credit. https://universalcreditinfo.net/

    Then if you can claim ESA:-
    (1) initially whether your GP will issue you with a sick note, and after a time whether you pass the DWP Work Capability Assessment https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/work-capability-assessment
    (2) whether you have paid sufficient National Insurance to claim contributions based (if not you may still be entitled to claim income-related but then there are more restrictions).
    (3) If income related (see above) whether there is any other income in your household, meaning you and/or your partner (if you have one) and also what capital/property you have https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/employment-and-support-allowance-contribution-based.
    Most redundancy pay counts as capital - therefore if you receive a lump sum payment from work then this is where it may affect you - note only if you are claiming income-related benefit.

    The claim line for ESA is 0800 0556688.

    Hope this helps.

    Kind regards,

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.