Charges for Adult Non- Residential Care Services — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Charges for Adult Non- Residential Care Services

pporange15
pporange15 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hello I am Pratap Parmar from Preston in Lancashire. Recently I have received letter from Lancashire County Council regarding Charges for Adult Non- Residential Care Services. I have received 3 letters one after another in 3 week time. in the letter saying that I have to pay (1) letter £76.12, (2) letter £53.57 and (3) letter £46.42. I am confused here. I am on Direct Payment scheme manage my account.Why we have to pay we are all Elderly disabled and Venerable persons. We worked hard and paid our Tax and N.I. This is not our choice to become a Disabled and  use this service. we are unfortunate we do have life and would like to live like anybody else. If we are start paying now that will eventually will go up every year with line of inflation. we really   can't afford to pay. Charges will started with effect from 13th of August 2018.  I would like you to help me anyway if that is possible please. 
I will send all the papers to you if want to see. 
I would appreciate your cooperation in this matter 
KInd Regard
Pratap Parmar

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @pporange15

Welcome to our online community/family.

I’m very very sorry to hear about your current situation/problems.

We have got a “helpline” 
    0808 800 3333.

This might be the best place to start.

Please please come back to me if you require further help/advice????

I would be more than happy in helping you with things????

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @pporange15 and a very warm welcome to the community! Thank you for taking the time to write this. I too agree that it may be worth ringing the helpline regarding this. I wish you the very best of luck and please do keep us updated!
    Scope

• pporange15
    Hello Scope Voluntare Advisors Thank you very much for your information I will try when my carer comes in the tomorrow Morning because it will be very late for today, she will come bit late.
    Thanks again 
    Regards
    Pratap Parmar
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering
    Hi @pporange15

The best person at the Scope Helpline to advise you on this matter would be @Zoe_Scope I'm tagging her here so that she will see your query. 

However,  I would say is that as a general principle nearly everyone has to make some contribution towards the cost of their care. The exact amount they have to pay is dependent of the local authority's assessment of the persons financial resources. Lancashire CC should be able to provide you with a copy of their calculations and an explanation of why they are requesting the specific amounts referred to in the letters. If you think the calculations are incorrect you should challenge them  with the Council direct. 

In Preston you have a disability information service called Disability Equality NW   http://disability-equality.org.uk/services/  01772 558 863 ( M-Th 9.30 to 2.30)

If you need independent advice on the information Lancs CC gives then it might be best to contact Disability Equality NW as they will have local working knowledge of your local authority

Best Wishes
    Jean

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

• pporange15
    Good Morning Jean for nice kind message. my question is why we have to pay because we are Elderly disabled Pensioner and venerable, We can not raise our voice,because  we are sick, we can not , picketing Or make petition we are soft so they (Council Or Government can get on us) can do what ever they want do. Lots of MP , and councillors are Miss behave miss manage Accounts and They get away with murder and we have to pay for them this way. I am not happy, council should find another way and leave us alone. Whatever life left we can live happily not suffering from depression and dementia and die in it. 
    Thanks 
    Pratap Parmar 
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering
    Hi @pporange15

I hear your feelings of frustration and injustice at being expected to contribute towards the cost of your care. Many people would agree with you that this doesn't seem fair, but it is the system that is currently in place.  I doubt the government will be changing it any time soon.

As I said previously if you think the figures that have been used to calculate your contribution are incorrect you could ask your local disability information service to support you: http://disability-equality.org.uk/services/  Alternatively, you could talk your concerns over with Lanchashire Age UK website: https://www.ageuk.org.uk/lancashire/our-services/information-and-advice/  helpline: 0300 303 1234

Sorry I don't have anything else to suggest

Best wishes

Jean

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

• pporange15
    Hello Jean 
    Thank you very much for taking time out and advising me. I do appreciate your kind cooperation. 
    I wish you all the Best for the future you are doing great Job. 
    Best wishes
    Mr Pratap Parmar

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.