MR - do people get their decision changed? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

MR - do people get their decision changed?

jules13
jules13 Community member Posts: 63 Connected
evening everyone, just a wonder, I’m currently in the process of sorting out my appeal starting with my MR. Just wondering do they actually ever change their decision? Just read online that it’s a low percentage that they do change their mind? Kinda makes you think what’s the point in the MR ? Surly it could just go to the next step x

Comments

• lindadenise
    lindadenise Community member Posts: 302 Pioneering
    My MR was not changed, i have gone to appeal.
  • wrinkly65
    wrinkly65 Community member Posts: 28 Courageous
    must do as cant appeal w/o . my son got 12 additional points and recives both care and mobility after MR.Used template letter on this site and stressed things overlooked and what points he felt applied and why. worth the effort-good luck
  • jules13
    Thank you, it’s nice to hear some success stories so many people tell you the bad I guess that I was just wondering if anything would change. I do have a friend that used to be an assessor and she said that certain things have been taken into account but haven’t been awarded the points for example I need an aid for toilet, bathing and preparing food but not for getting dressed which she said uses the same bending and even sitting on a bed would mean I’m using an aid. But she had also noted that I touched my ankle, but failed to mention it was elevated higher than my hip while sitting down and I had a huge cushion under it to support my knee. And a quick touch of the ankle is nothing compared to trying to put on pants or trousers etc, also she acknowledged my hubby helped me in and out the bath, he has to help lower me, but only awarded for needing an aid not assistant, just wondering if it’s worth trying or not as I’ve head it can be extremely stressful x
  • Ripples
    Ripples Community member Posts: 189 Pioneering
    @jules13 Once you could go straight to appeal but the government in its wisdom decided to make people jump through more hoops by adding a mandatory reconsideration stage.
    The ostensible purpose was that someone else reviewing a claim might make a different decision although they often come to the same conclusion as they are relying  heavily on the HCP report.
    It is always worth going to  appeal if you believe you have a viable case as these decisions are turned around often by tribunal.
  • jules13
    @Ripples thank you, I think I’m just a bit worried about the time frame, that I have a review in a year so I’m theory the appeal might not even be through by then (reading some people’s waiting times on here) just then would it be thrown out as it would be time to reapply. It’s a shame it is like this x
  • Ripples
    Ripples Community member Posts: 189 Pioneering
    @jules13 Your appeal would be dealt with on its own merit it would not be cancelled out by another review and any change meriting back pay you would still be entitled to. There could be a scenario where you won an award with an appeal then went to another review and got a lesser award later but this wouldn't affect payments you were entitled to in the intervening period.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.