Will ESA be affected by my child (who is 18) working? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will ESA be affected by my child (who is 18) working?

Wales
Wales Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi if you can help me please my child is 18 now working full time i claiming esa support group also have another child under 16 will this affect my benefit 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Wales
    Welcome to the community! Unfortunately I am unsure of the answer however another member of the community may know and will be in contact soon :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • dazza76
    dazza76 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi I hope this helps I think if your 16 year is in education you should be okay I know I had some issues with my benefits when my youngest left school but then she went to college and I had benefits for her hope I was some help
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi @wales

It won't affect your ESA, but housing benefit may be reduced if you are not in receipt of either DLA care comp or PIP daily living.

If you don't get PIP or DLA then housing benefit will apply a non-dependent deduction in relation to the child calculated with reference to their wages. This is meant to be their contribution to the rent.

If you're in ESA sg and are not claiming PIP/DLA then you really should be thinking about giving it a go.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Mary
    The Benefits Training Co:

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    If you were claiming Severe disability premium in with your ESA then yes it will be affected. Your child is now classed as a non dependant and you will no longer be entitled to this premium. It's £64.30 per week. If you do claim this then you need to ring ESA and report the changes. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.