Will ESA be affected by my child (who is 18) working? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Will ESA be affected by my child (who is 18) working?

Wales Member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi if you can help me please my child is 18 now working full time i claiming esa support group also have another child under 16 will this affect my benefit 


  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,946 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Wales
    Welcome to the community! Unfortunately I am unsure of the answer however another member of the community may know and will be in contact soon :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • dazza76
    dazza76 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi I hope this helps I think if your 16 year is in education you should be okay I know I had some issues with my benefits when my youngest left school but then she went to college and I had benefits for her hope I was some help
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hi @wales

    It won't affect your ESA, but housing benefit may be reduced if you are not in receipt of either DLA care comp or PIP daily living.

    If you don't get PIP or DLA then housing benefit will apply a non-dependent deduction in relation to the child calculated with reference to their wages. This is meant to be their contribution to the rent.

    If you're in ESA sg and are not claiming PIP/DLA then you really should be thinking about giving it a go.

    Hope this helps.

    Kind regards,

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,395 Disability Gamechanger
    If you were claiming Severe disability premium in with your ESA then yes it will be affected. Your child is now classed as a non dependant and you will no longer be entitled to this premium. It's £64.30 per week. If you do claim this then you need to ring ESA and report the changes. 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.