Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Will ESA be affected by my child (who is 18) working?

WalesWales Member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi if you can help me please my child is 18 now working full time i claiming esa support group also have another child under 16 will this affect my benefit 

Replies

• Ami2301Ami2301 Member Posts: 7,440 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Wales
    Welcome to the community! Unfortunately I am unsure of the answer however another member of the community may know and will be in contact soon :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • dazza76dazza76 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi I hope this helps I think if your 16 year is in education you should be okay I know I had some issues with my benefits when my youngest left school but then she went to college and I had benefits for her hope I was some help
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi @wales

It won't affect your ESA, but housing benefit may be reduced if you are not in receipt of either DLA care comp or PIP daily living.

If you don't get PIP or DLA then housing benefit will apply a non-dependent deduction in relation to the child calculated with reference to their wages. This is meant to be their contribution to the rent.

If you're in ESA sg and are not claiming PIP/DLA then you really should be thinking about giving it a go.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Mary
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    If you were claiming Severe disability premium in with your ESA then yes it will be affected. Your child is now classed as a non dependant and you will no longer be entitled to this premium. It's £64.30 per week. If you do claim this then you need to ring ESA and report the changes. 
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
Sign in or join us to comment.