Happy Smiles disability awareness project!
As a teacher and part-time carer for young people with disabilties for nearly ten years, I have recently set up a Facebook page that I plan to aim at promoting the stories of people with perceived disabilities and particularly sharing the positive aspects of their lives.
I aim to promote the stories of people with disabilities, showing off what they CAN do, not what they CAN’T. I hope to educate our community and the world on how to effectively include everyone in our society. Too often I see people from young children to adults, who are scared, condescending or confused around someone with a perceived disability. I hope to change this, starting with the videos I have been sharing.
I have started by sharing videos of two young people, both with Cerebral Palsy and other complex needs. These videos have since reached over 50,000 people in three weeks. The page just reached 1000 followers and appeared in the local paper, which is exciting! I would love to be able to share the stories of as many young people as possible in the same way and help to educate the world on how to be a more inclusive place. This is being done via social media platforms, mainly our Facebook page, with the addition of an Instagram page.
I hope to create a more inclusive world and believe that these small actions can make a big difference.
If you know anyone who might like to share their story, please get in touch!
- 48.4K All Categories
- 9.6K Start here and say hello!
- 3.9K Coffee lounge
- 3.9K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.4K News and opportunities
- 134 Community updates
- 11.3K Talk about your situation
- 1.6K Children, parents, and families
- 622 Work and employment
- 517 Education
- 939 Housing, transport, and independent living
- 908 Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 237 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 245 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 19.1K Talk about money
- 1.7K Benefits and financial support
- 4.2K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 11.2K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2K Universal Credit (UC)
- 3.5K Talk about your impairment
- 1.2K Cerebral palsy
- 575 Chronic pain and pain management
- 637 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 691 Autism and neurodiversity
- 822 Mental health and wellbeing
- 284 Sensory impairments