PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Can I change to a paper tribunal after I have my date?

JohnjosephJohnjoseph Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited September 2018 in PIP, DLA and AA
Can i change my mind and ask for a paper tribunal even though I have my date for a oral tribunal, as my nerves are so bad? 

Replies

• markyboymarkyboy Member Posts: 368 Pioneering
    Yes you can as i did 3 weeks before my tribunal and still won my case
    All you need to do is write a letter to the tribunal centre explaining that you are unable to attend due to it causing you distress thinking about attending, and you would like the tribunal to make a decision in your absence
  • MisscleoMisscleo Member Posts: 646 Pioneering
    Many thanks for the info 
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,560 Disability Gamechanger
    You can do this but your best chance of winning comes if you do attend. Paper tribunal success rates are around 5 to 8% whereas oral hearings are around 48% if you attend by yourself; 60% if you go with someone else and 71% if you are represented. 

You also need to bear in mind that a tribunal can look at a paper hearing and decide either that there’s insufficient evidence for it to proceed or that the only way to decide the appeal is to see the claimant. So, you could request a paper hearing; have that agreed and then find that the tribunal onthe day feel it would be better as an oral hearing. If you then didn’t attend that oral hearing it’s odds on you will lose.
Sign in or join us to comment.