New claim — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

New claim

pigeon55 Member Posts: 116 Courageous
My cb esa was stopped Feb 17 after filling a benifits calculator in it advised me to apply for uc. I'm in the middle of tribunal court appeal at the moment waiting to hear from the upper court. Was asked to visit local jobs center today to verify my uc claim. After I did this to my surprise was told my existing esa claim would stop and any future uc would be means tested. My wife works 32 hrs a week I get bottom rate disembelament payment and the bottom care pip. Wished I had known as I wouldn't have done this. To many rules regs and confusion in this dwp for me. Just wish I was able to return to work.


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,497 Disability Gamechanger
    Universal credit is a means tested benefit as your wife works 32 hours then it doesn't mean you won't be entitled to something. As your ESA claim has currently stopped then you're not receiving any money for that and you won't receive any money unless you're placed into the Support Group. CB ESA is not part of UC and if sometime in the future you're placed into the Support Group your money will re-start and be backdated to the time it stopped. You will continue to receive your ESA and the money for that will be deducted from your UC claim. 

    As you've now applied for UC then you will need fit notes from your GP and your work coach should change your work commitments in line with the fit notes but some people are still forced to look for some work per week. It can be very harsh indeed. 

    PIP isn't part of UC and I have no idea what bottom rate disablement benefit is. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,497 Disability Gamechanger
    Any savings/capital are counted when calculating UC because it's a means tested benefit. 
  • pigeon55
    pigeon55 Member Posts: 116 Courageous
    Disembelament is a benifit paid by the dwp if you are hurt in accident at work. The person at the job center said after I asked the question if I was placed in the support group after apeal said I wouldn't be put in the support group as that claim is now closed. Thanks for your previous comments.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Hi pigeon55

    It sounds like your ESA was stopped because you had perhaps been paid for 365 days in the work-related activity group? Your upper tribunal case could be about the support group?

    If that's the case, the jobcentre person is right that no more will be paid at present. 

    I hope that you have local advice  with your upper tribunal case. 

    Please make a call to the Scope Helpline if not - we don't undertake casework, but perhaps we could point you in the right direction. Face-to-face local advice is best if it's there.

    Good luck.



Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.