Helping daughter accept her impairment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Helping daughter accept her impairment

Syntarla Member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi all

I have a teenager daughter who was rather I'll three years ago with swelling in her brain. It has left her with a visual problem and are cant read anything below a font size 24 it can't be fixed with glasses as it's a problem  in the brain. She is struggling with feeling different as she has to take picts of things as back lighting on a tablet works. School haven't been that helpful she's had counciling about her feelings but was told no counciling available in our area as no one trading if it's from a medical problem. She likes school but gets upset about having to explain or students/people giving her funny lucks. I'm disabled myself and understand it can be hard but the vision problem she is left with is very rare so no one to relate too. Any tips thanks :-)


  • Support_worker
    Support_worker Member Posts: 8 Listener
    edited September 2018
    Have you tried Contacting Henshaws For The Blind

    [contact details removed by moderator]

  • Weebles1703
    Weebles1703 Member Posts: 11 Courageous
    Perhaps you could find some Facebook groups for young people with visual impairments. Also, assistive technology may make her life much easier (screen readers, software like 'Jaws for windows' which reads text on screens, screen magnifiers). Charities might help fund equipment. Turn2us website has lists of charities. Sometimes local authorities provide equipment. If school are not helping, complain to the local authority. Check if your area has a parent partnership scheme (they can help with school problems for kids with additional needs). Often psych depts in hospitals have specialist psychologists for people who are living with chronic health problems. I hope things improve for your daughter. 
  • Syntarla
    Syntarla Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you! I'll definitely look into that!
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @Syntarla,

    We have lots of information relating to visual impairments on our website which might be of interest to you - including a list of organisations that may be able to offer further advice and support, and support children with a visual impairment can receive at school.

    I hope this helps, and if you have any other questions then please do get in touch! 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,545 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2018
    Hi @Syntarla and welcome to the community. I too have a relatively new visual impairment which isn't really correctable with glasses (due to it also being my brain). I can't read anything below size 18 font and am about to start my final year of university (when I started uni my vision was relatively okay and I didn't need any support/ could read normal print). I have found that assistive technology has been so helpful and allowed me to continue with my studies/ work. Also, RNIB can offer support on this. They have a helpline which is dedicated to visual impairment, they also offer counselling which can be done over instant messaging or Skype. There is also a section on their website about children/ education. If there is anything else that I can do then please do not hesitate to be in touch :)


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.