Extra money- is my daughter allowed to help us? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Extra money- is my daughter allowed to help us?

wellsy97 Member Posts: 2 Listener
hi me and my husband are both disabled and on income support we’ve managed to get our selves into debt that we’re finding hard to mange and our daughter has kindly offered to help by paying some of our bills and buying shopping for us what my question is is she allowed to do this or is something I need to declare thanks 


  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @wellsy97

    I found this on the Entitledto website.

    Any income you receive from voluntary sources - such as from friends and family or from charities - is disregarded completely when calculating benefits. This means the amount of benefit you are entitled to is not affected by this kind of income.

    If you receive regular income from friends and family, or from charities, you do not need to enter anything under this source of income. Most other sorts of income should be entered into the calculator.

    Note: that maintenance payments from a former partner or parent of a child are not treated as voluntary payments. You should enter income from these sources elsewhere in the calculator.

    If you receive irregular income from friends and family, or from charities, then you should enter the amount you have received under 'savings'. In general you do not need to declare any savings unless your total savings are over £6,000 or £10,000 if you or your partner are over pension age.
    Regular payments include those paid or due to be paid at recurring intervals such as weekly, monthly or annually (for example every Christmas).

    Regular gifts in kind, for example, Christmas hampers are ignored. Irregular gifts in kind from a charity are also ignored but from any other source they are treated as savings.
    Senior online community officer
  • wellsy97
    wellsy97 Member Posts: 2 Listener


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.