CP in Theatre, film, tv and fiction? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

CP in Theatre, film, tv and fiction?

Options
DavidOnline
DavidOnline Community member Posts: 34 Courageous
Hi everyone

How visible is CP in film, tv, fiction and theatre? If you've read a book or seen a play, film or tv drama, with CP characters, please reply with the name!

I'd also really really like to know your reactions to any that you saw. I wonder how did the portrayals affect you? Did you agree? 

For example, I recently saw Left Foot Right Foot, a play about My Left Foot and why they used a non-CP actor to play someone with CP (Daniel Day Lewis). It's written by someone with CP and includes a CP actor telling everyone what it feels like to have CP. I was very moved.

To me, it felt a validation of my own personal experience to see it articulated on a stage.  I felt empowered. I felt: perhaps now people will understand better how I feel.

I also liked Francesca Martinez's recent radio play, How We're Loved.

I'm writing a play and a novel myself on this subject. 

There should be a CP version of #MeToo!!

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.