dla tribunal for a child help please! — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

dla tribunal for a child help please!

talica Member Posts: 2 Listener
edited September 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
hi im roxi, my son got his diagnosis of asd attachment difficulties and learning difficulties, however dla have rejected every claim because they have said every thing oliver is going through is normal for his age!! its now going to tribunal and im really worried, has any one been through this? i know what they are saying just isnt the case and in their defence it states the average 2 year old needs help dressing and will get upset and have meltdowns....which maybe true but hes 8 next month! not 2, i guess im just panicking so ill stop rambling now.


  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    There is lots of information here about appealing a decision.

    Are you getting any support through this? Have you spoken to the CAB?

    It would help if you have plenty of evidence from medical professionals about your son's condition, do you have doctors on your side?
    Senior online community officer
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Posts: 8,845 Connected
    How many claims have you made? Multiple claims can be detrimental.

    The case will hinge not only on showing care and/or mobility needs but also showing that they substantially exceed those of a child of his age. Many magnet such claims end up at appeal and unlike adult cases the focus will be on solid medical evidence and your detailed statements of his attention, supervision and mobility issues. As @Sam_Scope suggests you are giving to need representation. 
  • talica
    talica Member Posts: 2 Listener
    I made one claim but appealed it. Then took it higher. But it's been dragged out after having to wait until i got his full diagnosis. 
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Posts: 8,845 Connected
    You don’t need a diagnosis for DLA although it obviously makes things easier. What sort of evidence do you have so far if you don’t mind me asking?


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.