Disability and exclusion — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disability and exclusion

cracker
cracker Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
Hello, all. I just read the thread on being/feeling excluded. My friends have all but ceased contact with me. I cannot do many things other people enjoy (as I used to) - much of the exclusion is due to my not being able to participate in social events (I am physically disabled, live in a small town where cars are the only transportation and I do not drive). I am also a single, older woman, which immediately excludes me from society in general. Disability adds to the exclusion.

I am glad to have found this forum and hope to contribute in some meaningful way.

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @cracker   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and thank you for sharing.  Sorry what has happened.

Understand what you are going through. I am a single gentleman.  In my fifties.  Living on my own.  Have disability mental health issues.

We are a supportive community. Friendly care and share.

We do not judge any body here.  I am sure by contributing you will meet new friends.

Ready to listen. I be one.

Hope that helps.

Please ask if you wish to know anything. Some one will know.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @cracker
    Welcome to the community I completely understand how you are feeling, I lost 95% of my friends since becoming disabled. Only a couple of true friends stood by me. Rest assured, we are all here for you :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @cracker and a very warm welcome to the community! Thank you for taking the time to share this with us all, I am sure many of the members will be able to relate. Please let me know if there is anything that we can do :)
    Scope

• cracker
    cracker Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
    How lovely of you all to answer so kindly with offers of help. Knowing that I am understood and not alone. 
    Last night was the culmination of a series of bad days. I decided to write down exactly what my day (and many days) was like. I looked at it with astonishment afterwards.

I think we may get so accustomed to struggling with disability that we fail to appreciate  just what it takes to make it through a day. After a bus accident two years ago that put me in hospital for three months, my counselor called my life after the accident "the new normal."

And so it is, for all of us: our "normal" is different than most's. I always think that I can enter the world of the "able" but they cannot enter mine.

Thank you all again. This evening will be better because of your support.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @cracker Thank you for kind words.  I understand everything you are saying. I am sure as I know many members have experiences to share.

Pleasure to meet you.

Take care

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @cracker
    Thank you for sharing what has happened to you. I completely empathise with you about the lengthy hospital stay! If you ever just want to chat then please don't hesitate to get in touch! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @cracker

Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.