Benefits Advice ESA and Carers Allowance. — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Benefits Advice ESA and Carers Allowance.

tammy1 Member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi, my name is tammy1! and I need some help with my situation Please x
I claimed ESA after having a F2F assessment last October previous to this i was a community Carer.

I claimed ESA but could only get my Contributions paid. I then added my Partner to the claim -(who is on PIP enhanced care side & no mobility) he got ESA money for both of us. I have received an appointment to review benefits & circumstances as coming up to a year this month and my sick note runs out the day before the appointment. If I send no more in - my partner has mental health issues and ill health and currently claims ESA what happens with his and can I claim Carers allowance for him? The claim is in my name at mo also what happens at the review? Thanks x


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,738 Disability Gamechanger
    As it is your ESA claim then your partner is added to your claim and you're claiming as a couple and the money for both of you. Your partner doesn't need to send in sick notes because he's added to your claim.

    Which group are you in WRAG or Support Group? If you're not in a group then you'll need to continue to send in the fit/suck notes until a decision's been made after the assessment. The appointment that you have coming up sounds like its a work capability assessment and they will be assessing your fitness to do any type of work. You should answer those questions with as much detail as possible and avoid answering with just a yes or no.

    Yes claiming Carers allowance is possible for your partner, if you care for him for at least 35 hours per week. However, problems can occur if you claim carers allowance for looking after him, if the care you do contradicts the reasons you claim ESA. For example, if your partner needs help with physical conditions and you're claiming ESA for the same thing then problems can occur because they can say that if you can care for your partner for at least 35 hours per week then you're fit for work.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.

Online employment support

Support to Work is an online and telephone support programme for disabled people who are looking for work.