PIP Tribunal Help — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

PIP Tribunal Help

SeaHart Member Posts: 3 Listener

Hi, I was after some advice regarding PIP Tribunals. My mother suffers from schizoaffective disorder depressive type (combined with anxiety & psychosis). Quick medical history is that she has had this condition for 37 years and was on life long DLA; she has also had a carer for all the time she has been diagnosed (she is unable to cope by herself, needs attendance with appointments as she is unable to retain information, unable to travel alone and needs someone to help her with day to day life) and is currently medicated by Procyclidine, Venlafaxine, Bendroflumethiazide, Coracten, Aripiprazole, Prochlorperazine & Atorvastatin. In those 37 years she has had a number of stints in psychiatric units and has been on Section 3 of the mental health act due to a severe episode in 2005. She is not currently with a psychiatrist as he felt that there was only so much they could offer & that her illness could be monitored by the primary mental health care, he put a care plan in place for her to follow & basically gave us a list of numbers to call in case of emergency. She is also currently in the ESA support group & she also attends a day centre once a week.


She went to her f2f assessment & the results of that came back with a big fat zero on all components, they seemed to have concentrated on her physical abilities and not her mental health abilities. In their report there were a lot of blatant lies and even went as far as to say she does not have an anxiety condition despite us giving evidence to her medication. From that we decided to do a Mandatory Reconsideration and 3 weeks after we got the result we were expecting of them not changing their minds, they even added that because she is on medication she doesn’t need any further help. The evidence we have so far submitted has been psychiatrist reports dating from 2015 up until she was discharged in early 2017, complete medical history & a copy of her current repeat prescription, we have also given them the contact details of her current GP. We are now at the stage of asking for an appeal but I’m literally at a loss as to what more evidence I can submit as I’m told you cannot submit historical evidence & further at a loss as to who can help us. We originally followed CAB advice on how to fill out the forms but did not find them all that helpful. Just hoping for some advice as to what the next step is to help her with the appeal.


  • debsidoo
    debsidoo Member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Hi @SeaHart
    I would advise you to contact her Mental Healthcare team and Age U.K.they may be better equipped to show you the best way to go about her appeal.If you have any evidence you wish to submit then go ahead,any evidence is useful.It doesn’t matter how old it is as long as it is still relevant to her claim.Good luck 
  • SeaHart
    SeaHart Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank you for your reply & advice. Annoyingly her Mental Healthcare team is solely the GP who due to practice policy won't give us a letter of support. The whole system is bizarre.
  • SeaHart
    SeaHart Member Posts: 3 Listener

    The evidence I have already submitted I feel is strong enough to my mothers case however once the rejection letter comes through the door I question whether it was strong enough to prove her illness and how it affects her. I heard that a day-to-day diary can help, would it be worth starting one to give as evidence to the appeal?  


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.