esa back dated money — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

esa back dated money

About 10 weeks ago got a letter about esa sdp premium error as i'm on contribution esa support group and that they would ring me regarding my claim going back too June 2012.

Turns out should have been on income related esa and money was owing and would be paid back.

Well today received a payment in my account and its about 1000 short of what i thought i would get but still not recieved a letter regarding the breakdown of the money.

Anyone know why or do they pay the back dated money in stages. 

By the way lived alone since 2012 and have no savings the premium i should have received is 16.40 a week extra.

Thanks for any info.


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,122 Disability Gamechanger

    SDP is £64.30 per week and is different to the EDP which is £16.40 per week. SDP is paid if you receive mid/high rate care DLA or daily living PIP, no one claims carers allowance for looking after you.

    Backdated money isn't paid in stages, if you think it's wrong then you should ring ESA and query what you received.
  • debsidoo
    debsidoo Member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Hi @joshua12000
    if you are unsure you could contact DWP and ask for a breakdown letter of the payment then you could see if the dates tally.The earlier arrears may be at a lower rate to factor in the amount of the premium in those years.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.