Looking to see if I can claim for Disability Allowance or PIP but don't know where to start — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Looking to see if I can claim for Disability Allowance or PIP but don't know where to start

biffobiffo
biffobiffo Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi everybody
 I was diagnosed with ipf 6 months ago and have been struggling more lately and have been looking to see if I can make any claims like disability allowance or pip but just don't know we're to start any pointers would be of a great help 
many thanks s.s

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @biffobiffo   Pleased to meet you welcome. Thank you for joining and thank for your question.

Have a look at our benefit advice and information. Look at the DWP website for qualifying criteria.

If applying for PIP consider speaking to CAB with form filling in. Plus any additional support they give.  Have expertise and knowledge.  Also there own website has a lot of good information as well.

When receiving claims pack. Has a lot of information in it and it will need careful reading.  

I know you will need guidance and support. You have come to the right place for this. 

We are a supportive friendly community. Lots of information and advice.

Ask the community anything some one will know.

Please take care

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @biffobiffo
    Welcome to the community! The link to the benefits section that @thespiceman suggested is here. Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @biffobiffo,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you here.

Have you tried our online benefits calculator? It's a handy tool which should give you an idea of what benefits you may be entitled to. I hope this helps!
    Liam
  • mendipmark
    mendipmark Community member Posts: 22 Courageous
    If you live in a housing association property they will have a benefits advice team to help their tenants. Use them religously but check they have completed the forms properly.

As to your next issue pip or dla. This depends on where you live. Some areas are taking new claims on pip. If they are not its the dla route for you. Dwp or advisors will check this before you start.

There is a lot of advice on the net inc Scope, Turn 2 Us etc. 

Send everything registered post so nothing is lost. Include everything every health related document, photos of aids etc. Registered post is treated differently and they cant complain stuff is missing if you have the person who signed for its name.

Everything with dwp is extremely slow. It took me over two years to get my first set benefits inc a tribunal. 

Tribunals are statistically worthwhile doing if needed. 

Good luck

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,329 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2018

As to your next issue pip or dla. This depends on where you live. Some areas are taking new claims on pip. If they are not its the dla route for you. Dwp or advisors will check this before you start.

I'm sorry but this is not the correct advice. DLA no longer exists for those aged between 16-64 and you can no longer make a claim for this in any area in UK or Northern Ireland and it has been this way since April 2013.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,329 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi everybody
     I was diagnosed with ipf 6 months ago and have been struggling more lately and have been looking to see if I can make any claims like disability allowance or pip but just don't know we're to start any pointers would be of a great help 
    many thanks s.s
    Hi,

PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it all depends on how your conditions affect you daily. You must have had the condition for 3 months and expect it to last at least another 9 months.

Evidence will be needed to support a claim and a face to face assessment will most likely be needed. https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-self-test

Any other benefits you maybe able to claim will totally depend on your circumstances and household income.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.