Moving and how it will effect ESA and Rent — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Moving and how it will effect ESA and Rent

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

As the area you're thinking of moving to is a full UC credit area then you won't be able to claim housing benefit, it will have to be UC. If you claimed UC then your ESA will change to UC and DWP should honour your ESA award and place you in the relevant UC group but this doesn't always happen.

Bed tax doesn't apply to privately rented accommodation but LHA does. You can't claim for anymore rent than your circumstances allow. This means that if it's just yourself then you would be allowed the 1 bedroom rate, if you decide to rent a 2 bed then you wouldn't be able to claim the difference.

You also need to be sure that the landlord for this property accepts DSS claimants because a lot of landlords won't accept those claiming benefits. Those that will accept them will more often than not ask for a guarantor.

Transition protection isn't in place yet and won't be until managed migration starts in 2019 but later for a lot of areas.

Support Group equivalent of UC (LCWRA) pays slightly more than ESA pays. However, how much you lose will depend on what group you're in for ESA and which premiums you claim. Do you claim PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care?

Having said all of this, thinking of moving and not claiming housing benefit to pay your rent, and paying it from your ESA is very risky. This will mean you'll have less to live on and how would you pay the rest of your bills and by food?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 34 Connected
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.