Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Moving and how it will effect ESA and Rent

The user and all related content has been deleted.


  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger

    As the area you're thinking of moving to is a full UC credit area then you won't be able to claim housing benefit, it will have to be UC. If you claimed UC then your ESA will change to UC and DWP should honour your ESA award and place you in the relevant UC group but this doesn't always happen.

    Bed tax doesn't apply to privately rented accommodation but LHA does. You can't claim for anymore rent than your circumstances allow. This means that if it's just yourself then you would be allowed the 1 bedroom rate, if you decide to rent a 2 bed then you wouldn't be able to claim the difference.

    You also need to be sure that the landlord for this property accepts DSS claimants because a lot of landlords won't accept those claiming benefits. Those that will accept them will more often than not ask for a guarantor.

    Transition protection isn't in place yet and won't be until managed migration starts in 2019 but later for a lot of areas.

    Support Group equivalent of UC (LCWRA) pays slightly more than ESA pays. However, how much you lose will depend on what group you're in for ESA and which premiums you claim. Do you claim PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care?

    Having said all of this, thinking of moving and not claiming housing benefit to pay your rent, and paying it from your ESA is very risky. This will mean you'll have less to live on and how would you pay the rest of your bills and by food?
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34 Connected
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
Sign in or join us to comment.