Is there more benefits that my neighbour can claim — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Is there more benefits that my neighbour can claim

Hi ive told my neighbour and good friend i would try and find out more information for her and her husband as she doesnt use internet and is scared to even try it out herself so here goes .she cant work due to ill health she claims PIP and is on standard rate for both .her husband has type 2 diabetes and has retired from work 3yrs ago he has his state pension and has pension credit guaranteed for his wife they get full housing benefit and full council tax benefit .he has trouble with mobility as he has some serious problem with his nerve ending in his feet .due to this i thought he could claim Attendance  Allowance  am i wrong ?(he is 68&she is 61).and are there any other benefits they can claim ?please help as i really want to help her if i can many thanks


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,245 Disability Gamechanger

    They would need to use a benefits calculator to see what other benefits they could claim. I would expect that because of his pension and pension credit for both of them then they are most likley claiming everything they can. They also claim full housing benefit and council tax reduction because of the pension credit.

    Attendance allowance is possible but there's no mobility part to this. As he's over 65 then this would be the benefit he would need to claim. If he did start a claim and it was successful because his wife claims daily living PIP then they could both claim severe disability premium on top of their pension credit, at the moment they can't claim this because he's not claiming a qualifying benefit.

    Here's a link for the AA. Evidence would be needed to support a claim.

  • dignifieddoll
    dignifieddoll Member Posts: 52 Connected
    Thank you poppy will pass on what you have told me im sure it will be greatly recieved many thanks


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.