life after alcohol — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

life after alcohol

Paddie
Paddie Community member Posts: 75 Courageous
edited September 2018 in Mental health and wellbeing
Hope everyone is ok...,,
@thespiceman I need your help,..please.
its to do with "giving up alcohol" I know you don't reallly want to get involved & I respect  that,.. totally!
why open open up a "closed wound"!!!
ive set a date & am involved with Addaction & my GP.
I just would like like your words of wisdom as I'm so frightened .
I know there is "life after alcohol " i just have to find it..,...
i keep praying & hoe my prayers are answered ....
im a total mess & there is not much that would send me over the edge.....
paddie

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Paddie
    Well done for getting in touch with your GP and addaction, that's a really brave and strong step forward!  If you are struggling and need to speak to someone or if you are having thoughts of suicide, it is important that you discuss them with someone who is qualified to help. Please call the Samaritans on 116 123 (free) or email them at jo@samaritans.org 

You might also benefit from reading MIND’s information on how you can help yourself: 

If you feel that you may be an immediate danger to yourself, please call 999 or go to your local hospital right away. 

Alcoholics anonymous also have a helpline on 0800 9177 650

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Paddie
    Thank you Sam, for your advice, information & support.....it means so very much to me.
    paddie
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Paddie First I apologise for not replying to you earlier.  Sorry I have and do try to catch up with any body. Who mentions me or sends me a message. Understand the situation here.

I do not mind advising you. You are experiencing some difficulties here. Fears of relapse and having the mental issues associated with all of this.

I notice you have been given advice by one of the team.. Understand all of this is scary and frightening.

I know I have been there myself, had at one time fear of relapse.

My concern is for you and may I add you need to seek the professional help that is on offer.

Please do not be embarrassed in calling for guidance and advice in contacting the help you need.

We all of us have and do have doubts of our fragile minds.  I do think you need to decide that you need this help.

Whether from GP and rehab or other associations, organisations.  Related to recovery.

I am always here and glad to help. Reading another post you have sent. I know that the problem is that you are dealing with a disease.

Sorry if I said that.  Difficult to understand. WHO the organisation called disease of the mind. Alcoholism.

I know you do want to hear that but that is the truth. So we to treat the disease. Usually by medication and a number of strategies and coping mechanisms that can allay your fears and relapse.

It is also be educated and using the knowledge you have gained from relapsing again.

In the old days you joined from Rehab a meeting groups . Called ARP. Alcohol Rolling Programme. Where you learnt strategies and coping mechanisms.

Unfortunately due to Government cuts and budgets of councils these are non existent.

All I add you will succeed and try to be positive. Remember this is small steps.

Always here . In prayers and thoughts.

Apologise again late reply.

Please take care

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Paddie
    Dear Spiceman, please never apologise for late replies.
    I'm just so grateful to you responding at all.
    I will take heed of all your advice & prayer the road that I am about to take will be the road to freedom!
    fond regards 
    Paddie
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Paddie Good to hear from you. Be here anytime.  
    You be OK I know this because you are in my prayers all the time. Also my thoughts. 

Please take care.

If you have anything you wish to chat or talk or anything I can help. I be here. Looking out for you.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.