pip assessment at home — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

pip assessment at home

danny1986
danny1986 Community member Posts: 55 Connected
hi i finalley heard back since first getting the form too move from DLA too PIP  em they sent me a letter saying its a home assesment is this a good sign that im likely too get aproved for PIP

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

No it doesn't mean anything other than they've agreed to do a home assessment. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • danny1986
    ok thanks are a good amount of people being moved from longterm dla too pip 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    danny1986 said:
    ok thanks are a good amount of people being moved from longterm dla too pip 
    It all depends on three things.
    (1) How well you complete the claim form  - PIP2
    (2) How good the relevant evidence is that you send back with the claim form
    (3) If you have a good working knowledge of how PIP works or you have a good advisor working with you supporting the application.

Apart from those three things you are then left with the luck of the draw as to whether you get a decent assessor.
  • danny1986
    ok thanks just worried ii been on dla my whole life  im completely house bound can barely walk across the room just hoping i get moved onto pip how strict are they being with longterm dla  people 
  • Yadnad
    danny1986 said:
    ok thanks just worried ii been on dla my whole life  im completely house bound can barely walk across the room just hoping i get moved onto pip how strict are they being with longterm dla  people 
    Personally I can only talk about what happened to me. Like you I was on DLA High Mobility & Care indefinitely since 1995, with a review that took place in 2011. I claimed PIP in 2013 and was awarded 0 points.
    I had to fight to get that increased to Enhanced Mobility & Care. Again in 2015 the same happened after a re-assessment and had to fight once again to get it back up to Enhanced for both. Then in 2017 It happened again when I was given 0 points after a 3rd re-assessment. I tried to get it back to Enhanced for both but failed and my claim was closed. Since then I don't get any type of disability benefit.
  • danny1986
    oh dear this has me very concerned are a lot of people getting knocked back by pip 
  • poppy123456
    danny1986 said:
    Your DLA award has nothing to do with your PIP claim even though you've been on DLA long term. PIP is different to DLA. Did you send evidence to support your claim? They very rarely contact anyone for evidence and the onus is on you to make sure it's sent.

Lots of people claim PIP successfully and this includes those that transfer from DLA but we rarely hear about it. If someone's had a decision they're happy with they have no questions to ask so don't tell their story.

Reading all the negative posts on forums won't help you feel any better. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    @Yadnad I'm sorry but your negative comments on a lot of threads don't help other people that are currently going through a PIP claim. People come here because they're worried and stressed and need help, the last thing they want is negative comments from other people.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    That’s why we have scope, to help.
  • yingtong
    yingtong Community member Posts: 37 Pioneering
    I had a home assessment inMay 2017 to transfer from DLA to PI P and I actually ended up better off and my review date of 2027.I must admit I had a lot of help from age UK.Finally I wish you very best of luck.
  • Mumof2ds
    Mumof2ds Community member Posts: 147 Pioneering
    @danny1986 wishing you the very best of luck with your home assessment. 

I had my PIP assessment last week at one of their centres. X 
    Politeness costs nothing, but goes a long way in life. 
     Always look out for each other. Be kind. 
     Hugs and smiles mean the world. XX 
  • danny1986
    ok thanks really worried can barely stand and even need someone too wash me my health so bad 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Very best of luck with your assessment @danny1986, do keep us updated and let us know if we can be of assistance.
  • Yadnad
    @Yadnad I'm sorry but your negative comments on a lot of threads don't help other people that are currently going through a PIP claim. People come here because they're worried and stressed and need help, the last thing they want is negative comments from other people.

Are you suggesting that I should not give my PIP experience as an example and answer to another post on here for fear of it being seen as a 'negative experience'?
    Let's all live in the make believe world of Alice in Wonderland then?

At least with others expressing their negative experiences it does show to the poster that they are not alone.
  • PIPnewbie
    PIPnewbie Community member Posts: 298 Pioneering
    I have to agree with Yadnad here.  Just because his experience wasn't sunshine and rainbows, he gave his own anecdotal account of what happened to him, and even prefaced by saying he is only speaking about what happened to him.
  • AnksponPete
    AnksponPete Community member Posts: 4 Listener

I had my face to face assessment 6 weeks ago. It took about 45 to 50 minutes . I took my sister with me for support, as I don`t like meeting strangers when I`m alone and thought that the assessment would be stressful. far from it. The lady was very friendly and sympathetic. She apologised for running ten minutes late and explained that it is because she`d read through the report letters from my GP and Rheumatology nurse. She said that they were very helpful.

She asked me questions which were related to the answers that I gave in the application form and some of them, she asked me again a few minutes later , I presume that is to catch out people who are lying. She also asked my to lie on the examination table ( sit in my case, as I cannot lie on my back. She asked me to lift each leg as far as I could ( not far with my left) and bend my knees ( again, a lot less with my left). She asked me to grab her fingers and pull back, my right hand soon let go! She also asked me to turn my head and nod my head, I can do neither. I explained to her what extra aids that I have in my Motability car ( extra swivelling mirrors are a DVLC requirement to help me drive safely) . I was encouraged by the fact that she did a lot of typing and therefore wrote a long report.

4 weeks later, I had the letter telling me the results. I`d been awarded enhanced rate for daily living and mobility , which is more than I had before when I was on DLA ( I got middle rate care and high mobility for life). The only disappointment was that she didn`t write down that my conditions that affect my abilities to carry out everyday tasks properly are chronic and will never get any better, so I was awarded PIP for 4 years. I intend to have a chat with my rheumy nurse and GP to ask if they`d write letters telling the DWP that my conditions are incurable. That way I may get a ten year award . Good luck with your claim, be honest with them, tell them how it is and keep positive .

• PIPnewbie
    edited September 2018

I had my face to face assessment 6 weeks ago. It took about 45 to 50 minutes . I took my sister with me for support, as I don`t like meeting strangers when I`m alone and thought that the assessment would be stressful. far from it. The lady was very friendly and sympathetic. She apologised for running ten minutes late and explained that it is because she`d read through the report letters from my GP and Rheumatology nurse. She said that they were very helpful.

She asked me questions which were related to the answers that I gave in the application form and some of them, she asked me again a few minutes later , I presume that is to catch out people who are lying. She also asked my to lie on the examination table ( sit in my case, as I cannot lie on my back. She asked me to lift each leg as far as I could ( not far with my left) and bend my knees ( again, a lot less with my left). She asked me to grab her fingers and pull back, my right hand soon let go! She also asked me to turn my head and nod my head, I can do neither. I explained to her what extra aids that I have in my Motability car ( extra swivelling mirrors are a DVLC requirement to help me drive safely) . I was encouraged by the fact that she did a lot of typing and therefore wrote a long report.

4 weeks later, I had the letter telling me the results. I`d been awarded enhanced rate for daily living and mobility , which is more than I had before when I was on DLA ( I got middle rate care and high mobility for life). The only disappointment was that she didn`t write down that my conditions that affect my abilities to carry out everyday tasks properly are chronic and will never get any better, so I was awarded PIP for 4 years. I intend to have a chat with my rheumy nurse and GP to ask if they`d write letters telling the DWP that my conditions are incurable. That way I may get a ten year award . Good luck with your claim, be honest with them, tell them how it is and keep positive .

This is one thing that is worrying me about my girlfriend's face to face.  She was too exhausted, stiff, and in pain, to do the movements.  He told her it was completely optional and she said she just doesn't have the energy, and he was absolutely fine with it (seemingly).

She was visibly beyond fatigued, and even fell asleep in the waiting room while we waited, but I still fear this will affect her award.

Congrats on your award though.  You must be very relieved.
  • Yadnad
    Thanks PIP. To balance matters and though this is not relevant to this thread, Poppy and her daughter obtained their respective correct PIP awards with no issues because they sought out good advice from at least two agencies and were able to complete the PIP2 forms fully giving the correct information and arranged for the correct relevant evidence to be sent.

Poppy is an example where everything went according to plan. Shame that a lot of others don't have that same experience. 
  • poppy123456
    "Arranged for the correct relevant evidence to be sent"? That's not correct, i gathered the evidence myself and sent it, not anyone else.
  • PIPnewbie
    "Arranged for the correct relevant evidence to be sent"? That's not correct, i gathered the evidence myself and sent it, not anyone else.
    Poppy, as per above, does refusing to do the exercises affect the decisions of face to faces at all, or is it all based on the alleged disability of the person applying?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.