Universal credit question — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Universal credit question

DeeDeeM Member Posts: 5 Listener
hi all

i have a question regarding UC. I currently get ESA and PIP. I’m looking to move and have used my local authorities calculator. It says my area is part of UC and to receive housing benefit I need to apply for UC.

my question is that if I apply for it will there be any change to my ESA/PIP.

thank you


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,550 Disability Gamechanger

    Is the area you're moving to a different local council or the same one as you're living now? If it's different then i'm afraid you'll need to claim UC. Claiming UC for the housing element will mean your ESA will also transfer to UC. PIP isn't included in UC and there will be no change to that.

    Council tax reduction also isn't part of UC and needs be claimed separately from your local council.

    You'll also need a tenancy agreement to be able to claim the housing element part. First payment of UC takes 6 weeks so be aware of that.

    Do you claim any disability premiums on top of your ESA? If you do then these won't be paid under UC.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.