They said there was no evidence but there was — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

They said there was no evidence but there was

Options
Thea
Thea Community member Posts: 19 Connected
edited September 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hiya, I did not have a face to face assessment but I received my PIP decision and they decided that “I can express and understand verbal communication” and that “I have no diagnosed sensory or cognitive impatient that would prevent me from expressing or understanding verbal communication” but I do have a diagnosis of selective mutism, which is is an anxiety disorder in which a person who is normally capable of speech cannot speak in specific situations or to specific people. In my case I am only able to communicate verbally with my mother, I do not communicate verbally with anyone else, this is not a choice it is caused by severe anxiety. My mother speaks on my behalf and during phone calls I write and my mother reads aloud what I have written to the person on the phone.

They said there is no evidence but I sent two letters with my forms from two different psychiatrists, both stating my diagnosis, one stating that "I was mute during my psychiatrist appointment and only communicated by nodding and writing with encouragement" and that I have a previous diagnosis from when I was sectioned of "depressive episode type unspecified with mutism as the main feature" the other also stating that I was "mute at the appointment and did not make eye contact" as well as saying that I have "a very longstanding history of selective mutism associated with anxiety" what should I do? 

Thanks

Comments

• Saracen
    Saracen Community member Posts: 66 Pioneering
    Options
    Morning thea 
    Im fairly new here aswell .
    Did u fill out your pip application yourself or did u have help , I had the same problem 3 years ago I had no assessment and decision 0 points I went to cab and they told me I had just filled in the forms like a medical history of all my complaints which I thought was right but he told me they dont go by your conditions but by how they affect u on a day to day basis .
    This forum is the best I have ever found for advice so if I was u contact citizens advice and ask for advice they appealed for me and I got something but you r not alone in this forum there are scope advisors on here that can be invaluable with honest and helpful up to date advise.
    Hope this helps chin up and good luck thea.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,290 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

If you're not happy with a decision you've had then i'd advise getting further advice before asking for the MR, as it's difficult to advise further because no one here knows how your conditions affect you daily.

You have 28 days to request the MR after the date of the decision. You should put the request in writing stating what you disagree with and where you think you should have scored those points and why.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Thea
    Thea Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    Options
    Thank you Saracen and Poppy! 
    I did fill in my forms myself and include how it affects me daily. As I have been awarded stranded rate for both daily living and mobility, I am worried that if I complain or appeal I may lose points and lose my award.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.