PIP and ESA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


mark73 Member Posts: 3 Listener
Why if I receive higher rate PIP only assessed abound 1 year ago do I have to go for an ESA Assessment? Don’t they communicate with each other? Thanks 


  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mark73, and a warm welcome to the community!

    PIP and ESA are two entirely separate benefits with separate assessment procedures, and so unfortunately being assessed for one doesn't have a bearing with the other. Wishing you all the best with your ESA assessment, do let us know if we can be of assistance.
  • mark73
    mark73 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Pippa_scope thanx, was just wondering. Hopefully everything will be fine. Mark 
  • Roly
    Roly Member Posts: 2 Listener

    Hi my friend had a pip assessment, he was on middle care and high mobility they have put him on low mobility and no care the c.a.b sent a m.r. off for him about a month ago , he has not heard anything, but his G.P has given him a letter pointing out what he can and cant do. The C.A.B said to keep the letter until you go to a tribunal he also been put on morphine do you think he should send the evidence to them now while there looking at his M.R. or keep it as they said they always keep the same result on a M.R. also his eesa has gone down £64 a week if he wins does this go back up automatically as It went down automatically than you .

  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,273 Disability Gamechanger
    I agree with CAB to keep the evidence for the Tribunal, as the MR letter of request was sent a month ago. Only 17% of MR decisions change so it's likely they will have to take it to Tribunal anyway.

    The money that was taken off the ESA is the SDP, if at any point they are awarded any rate of daily living PIP then they can re-apply for the SDP by contacting ESA.
  • Roly
    Roly Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you so much for your advise


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.