A gift from my disability — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

A gift from my disability

Options
cracker
cracker Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
On Friday, I met with an old friend. She, like us all, is ageing (20 years older than I am) and is having major memory loss. She is quite frightened by them,.

She thanked me for listening to her. She has been to ashamed to tell anyone and afraid to tell her doctor. She felt safe telling me because I have spoken to her about the disability and the fear that goes with it.

I think we do gain in compassion and understanding from what we experience in our disability.

I was happy about her trusting me.

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Well done you, if only more people would spend a little time involving themselves in pastropl care to others in their community. The occasional home visit or telephone call makes the recipient feel inclusive and part of their community. And by befriending a stranger we make new friends and between us all we can make the world a better place.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.