Disabled people
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Financial Help in Getting A Step in Shower Cubical For Disabled people.

Support_workerSupport_worker Member Posts: 8 Listener
edited October 2018 in Disabled people
I am trying to get some information on how I can get Some Financial help in getting a Step in Shower Cubical For my Friend Barbara who Suffers with Fibromyalgia and Osteoarthritis I have been in touch with the Occupational Therapy but they have said that they will not help her What do I do in order to get her help in Funding the Cost of the Work required to remove the Old Bath & Pay for A Shower Cubical and Get it Installed. 


  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger

    The first thing she needs to do is to self refer herself for a needs assessment. She can do this by contacting her local council social services department and they will come and do the assessment. It doesn't mean she'll get the shower but adaptions can certainly be done to make her life easier.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • Sam_AlumniSam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,729 Disability Gamechanger
    There is some information here about Disabled Facilities Grants.

    Why won't the OT help?
    Senior online community officer
  • Sam_AlumniSam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,729 Disability Gamechanger
    Do you have any thoughts @Jean_Scope ?
    Senior online community officer
  • Jean_OTJean_OT Member Posts: 528 Pioneering
    Hi @Support_worker

    OK so, if the OT have already said that they can't assist that implies that an assessment of her needs has already taken place or she didn't meet the criteria for an assessment.

    If people are refused financial assistance (Disabled Facilities Grant) via the community OT it normally means that that either the OT doesn't think that the work is necessary or the person has too much income/capital to pass the means test.

    If you think the OT has made an incorrect decision you can challenge that via the complaints procedure. Other than that the alternative to funding the work privately is applying for charitable funding: https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/search-grants  Unfortunately most charities will require evidence for an OT that the work is necessary and also apply a similar means-testing process.

    Sorry that I don't have anything more helpful to suggest

    Best Wishes

    Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

    You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

Sign in or join us to comment.