LCWRA and childcare costs — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LCWRA and childcare costs

janesh
janesh Community member Posts: 12 Connected
Hi all, 
I have been on LCW for 18 months but my condition has gotten considerably worse recently and I've now been moved onto LCWRA.

My partner works full time 40hrs/week

Our youngest child is in childcare with an Ofsted register childminder.
we were getting help with the costs previously (whilst on LCW) but this is my first months payment for LCWRA and I've noticed that there is no help with childcare costs! We paid around £200 to our childcare provider, which I submitted to UC as per usual, but there is nothing for it. 

Is this correct? Do we not get help with childcare anymore? 
I desperately need the childcare to help me when times are bad with my health so feel very worried and concerned about this. 

Thank you in advance,
Jane 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,339 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Was your partner paid more than usual during the last assessment period, or did they receive two wages during this time? If so then this can affect the amount of UC you're paid. The more you earn the less childcare you can claim, not counting yourself of course.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janesh
    Thanks for the reply. No he didn't, he was paid the same as usual
  • kaza814
    kaza814 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Depending the date you made the payment they may be expecting you to wait until next month. I'm now in extreme financial difficulty due to universal credits. My son was in nursery and was removed with immediate effect for his own welfare so nursery now won't provide proof of receiving payment but I was able to provide the police reference number ect.
    Has to then pay a month upfront for childminder and got £43 'due to their dates' even though it's for the full month.  Since then I have also had to pay October childcare fees and won't get the rest of sept fees until 18th Oct. So I'm 3 months childcare fees out £670 a month and £43 from universal credit with comments like '''thats just the way it is" from work coaches
  • janesh
    Kara814 
    that's rubbish, I think that's the problem with them not giving any Consideration into these kind of circumstances. Hope you get it sorted soon. It's just so hard to fork out money when you don't have it!

So are you on LWCRA and get help towards your childcare then?

Jane 
  • poppy123456
    janesh said:

So are you on LWCRA and get help towards your childcare then?

Jane 
    Yes this can be claimed under these circumstances...

You must be in paid work to receive childcare support from Universal Credit.

If you are a claiming with a partner both of you normally need to be in work to receive this help. However, you may be able to get childcare support if one of you is not working and is unable to provide childcare themselves because they:

• have limited capability for work
    • have caring responsibilities for a severely disabled person
    • are temporarily absent from the household
    https://www.understandinguniversalcredit.gov.uk/new-to-universal-credit/children-and-childcare/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • janesh
    Thank you Poppy, that's fab. Although do you think LCW includes LCWRA? 
    I Can't seem to find anything online to confirm it and I'm so worried
  • poppy123456
    Yes LCW is Limited capability for work and LCWRA is limited capability for work related activity. They both mean you have a limited capability for work.
  • janesh
    Oh thank goodness! Ah that's such a relief. 
    It must just be a mistake then and I'm assuming they will backdate it. I need the help with childcare now more than ever and was hoping to up it to more. 
    Thank you so much for helping me to understand this. 
    ive written a note to the UC people asking but they still haven't replied after a few days! 
    Thanks again 
  • poppy123456
    having looked at the childcare criteria again for UC i am not not 100% sure if LCWRA will qualify you for childcare. I know LCW does but it's not clear to mean if LCWRA does. There's a slight difference between them both in terms of what they mean. Therefore i would advise you to get expert advice regarding this if you have problems when you contact UC because you may no longer qualify because you now have LCWRA. I'm sorry i can't be more definite than this but i really can't find a specific answer to your question.
  • janesh
    Same here, I just keep finding such mixed answers I'm ending up in circles! I have everything crossed that UC will get back to me soon with a definite answer. I'll update here when they do 
  • poppy123456
    edited October 2018
    Be aware that DWP are not always spot on with their advice, especially when it comes to UC. Good luck.
  • janesh
    I don't think anyone seems to understand UC, even the people that work there! 
    Still no word from them, but I just spoke to someone on the Entitled To chat and they didn't know either! 
  • janesh
    Just found this...

3. If you have a partner

If you are part of a couple you must both be in paid work, or have accepted an offer of paid work. Childcare costs may be paid if 1 partner is working and the other can’t look after the child or children because they:

• have limited capability for work or limited capability for work and work related activity
    • care for a severely disabled adult or severely disabled child
    • are temporarily absent from the household (for example, in hospital, residential care or in custody)
  • poppy123456
    This was my first thoughts yes but then when i looked further i started to doubt myself and really didn't want to give you the wrong advice. I tried looking on the internet but everywhere i search said the same thing. Seems like my first thoughts were correct. Hopefully, it's true and you'll hear back from DWP soon. Good luck.
  • mcc0131
    mcc0131 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    janesh said:
    Just found this...

3. If you have a partner

If you are part of a couple you must both be in paid work, or have accepted an offer of paid work. Childcare costs may be paid if 1 partner is working and the other can’t look after the child or children because they:

• have limited capability for work or limited capability for work and work related activity
    • care for a severely disabled adult or severely disabled child
    • are temporarily absent from the household (for example, in hospital, residential care or in custody)

Hi folks. Just wondering is there any update on this to fully confirm on whether you get child care costs with LCWRA.

Similar situation thanks 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mcc0131 - I've had a look on the internet too & this July 2020 guidance on the Gov.UK's site is the latest I can find, i.e. the link above. It does seem to suggest that childcare costs apply with LCWRA. However I'll ask @Adrian_Scope for his opinion. Please would you advise here Adrian, thank you.
  • janesh
    Hi all,
    Original poster here! 
    Yes I can confirm that I get LCWRA and because of that we get up to 85% of our childcare costs because of this. My husband earns £1400 a month so we end up getting the full 85% help. We got this when my daughter was 2 years old and now that she’s 3/4 we still get it until she starts school. I just need to provide receipts to Universal Credit. Hope this helps 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Thanks for the tag @chiarieds, I've been on annual leave so my apologies for only replying now and many thanks @janesh for popping back to update us on your situation.

If you're on a joint claim and have a partner that works and you receive LCWRA then you can claim back childcare costs (same as if one of you is a carer receiving the carer element and the other works). However, if you're on a single claim and don't work, even if you have LCWRA or receive the carer element, unfortunately you can't claim back childcare support. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Johan158
    Johan158 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    chiarieds said:
    Hi @mcc0131 - I've had a look on the internet too & this July 2020 guidance on the Gov.UK's site is the latest I can find, i.e. the link above. It does seem to suggest that childcare costs apply with LCWRA. However I'll ask @Adrian_Scope for his opinion. Please would you advise here Adrian, thank you.
    Hi, I have LCWRA and I take Carrier Allowance for my wife. I am entitled to extra money because I am also a LCWRA. Well thank you.
  • poppy123456
    Johan158 said:
    chiarieds said:
    Hi, I have LCWRA and I take Carrier Allowance for my wife. I am entitled to extra money because I am also a LCWRA. Well thank you.
    You can't claim both the carers element and LCWRA element at the same time, you will be entitled to the higher element, which is the LCWRA.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.