Benefits and selling art — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefits and selling art

Options
libbylee
libbylee Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hi,I am on ESA in the support group and on pip.i would like to sell the odd artwork and don't expect to earn much but how would this affect my benefits?any help appreciated

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,021 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Any work you do needs to be agreed with DWP first. When claiming ESA you can earn up to £125.50 per week without it affecting any of your money, it's called permitted work. Any money you earn over this money will affect your ESA. See link about permitted work. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Permitted-Work-Rules

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • libbylee
    Options
    Thank you.its just a bit awkward as if I sold an art work for over the weekly limit but then didn't sell anything for the next few weeks do you know if my benefits would be cut because I went over the weekly limit for that one week?thanks
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You will need to ring DWP and ask them. You need to get permission anyway before doing the permitted work.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • libbylee
    Options
    Ok thanks a lot
  • libbylee
    Options
    Ok thanks,I probably need to phone them.i only spend an hour or two a day and some days not stall depending on how I am so I wouldn't be selling a lot
  • libbylee
    Options
    Ok thanks but where would I see an advisor face to face?thanks
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Your local CAB or welfare rights.
  • libbylee
    Options
    Ok thanks everyone
  • sereph73
    sereph73 Community member Posts: 5 Connected
    Options
    Hi everyone - just wondered if there have been more discoveries about this question of selling art work.  I do a little painting when I feel able - less than 4 hours a week, and some weeks not at all.  I have never sold any work but some of my friends have shown an interest.  I did ask CAB and Welfare Rights a while ago but neither were able to answer the question of how to go about it in regard to ESA and PIP and the guy from CAB suggested phoning DWP.  However, since I am not in a position of immediately being able to anticipate any actual sale, I am a bit unsure what to do.  It could really help me to have occasional extra income from the odd sale but I don't want to make my situation worse than it is and cause myself undue additional stress, so I'm thinking it might be best just to paint for pleasure and just give the paintings as gifts.  Any thoughts?  Thanks 
  • belpye
    belpye Community member Posts: 4 Connected
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Hi there!

I think I have some good resources for you.
    This issue has been a big problem for lots of artists. UNLIMITED are a disability arts organisation and one of their members wrote the following article about this issue. The article contains a link to a document listing organisations that can help you. 

https://weareunlimited.org.uk/whats-the-benefit-supporting-disabled-artists-who-are-on-benefits/

You may also want to check out this post from Disability Arts Online who are also very knowledgeable in this area.

https://disabilityarts.online/atw/self-employed/

You may also want to look into OutsideIn - an organisation that supports artists excluded from the mainstream art world. This includes a lot of disabled artists. Their staff are experts at supporting artists with these kinds of issues, and you can set up your own page on the website for free. It might be a cool way to sell more of your work, if that's something you are interested in.

https://outsidein.org.uk/

I hope this helps, keep enjoying the painting x
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Ring DWP.. suggested CAB, oh dear! 😬
  • sereph73
    Options
    Thank you so much for your comments above - I do appreciate all of them.  I will follow up the links suggested by Belpye - thanks again
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm glad to here the forum has been helpful @sereph73 :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • sereph73
    Options
    Sadly, having read the links, I have to agree that they do not exactly answer the question.  There is certain comfort in having ones' feelings validated and hearing that others have felt the same way - but where can w go from there?  Since I posted the original question back in June, I have spoken to an RNIB advisor who has made a referral for me to the RNIB Welfare team.  I have to admit, even going this far made me feel anxious but I am telling myself to wait and see what they come back with.  I will pass on any helpful information should I get any.  It could be a long wait ...
  • sereph73
    Options
    Thanks mikehughescq for your comprehensive reply - really appreciated, thank you for going into so much detail. It is very helpful.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.