Backdated PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Backdated PIP

23talltrees23 Member Posts: 8 Connected
edited October 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi Everyone I need some Help & info & im hoping this site can help me....


  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Member Posts: 6,389 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello  @23talltrees23 Pleased to meet you welcome.

    Please can I ask what help and advice you need?

    I am one of the community champions of the forum. To welcome you and to give advice, information and guidance.

    How can I help?

    Please take care

    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,798 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @23talltrees23, and a warm welcome to the community! How can we help? Do feel free to post a new discussion with your query!
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,946 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @23talltrees23
    Welcome to the community! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • 23talltrees23
    23talltrees23 Member Posts: 8 Connected
    Hi everyone Im having so much stress as my mother was killed in a RTA my father died in my arms from MS 4yrs ago & I suffer terribly from Fibromyalgia & now my hubby is terminally ill with cancer. He now gets pip & carers allowance. I get the same, but now i have to attend a medical but requested home visit, but i wont get paid for 3months since i first claimed!!! June i applied. Do i have to wait till after the medical & do they backdate payment??? Were struggling with our bills....
    Ive had many medicals over the years & ive got worse....

  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,105 Pioneering
    Hi @23talltrees23,

    I'm sorry to hear about this. It sounds like a really tough time for you.

    I've found this information on the Citizens Advice website which might be of interest to you:
    "If you’re moving from DLA to PIP your payments won’t stop while you’re waiting for your PIP claim to be processed, as long as you make your claim for PIP within 28 days of being told by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) that you should. Your PIP payments will start the day after your DLA payment stops.
    If you don't get DLA, your first payment for PIP will start from the date you make your claim. It will cover the length of time it takes the DWP to make its decision. PIP can't be backdated, so you won't get any money for the time before you make your claim."

    I hope this helps. Do let us know if you have any other questions!

  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,447 Disability Gamechanger

    Are you talking about PIP or ESA as it's not clearly in your post which benefit you're talking about.
  • 23talltrees23
    23talltrees23 Member Posts: 8 Connected
    Hi im confused really, I receive pip & carers allowance for looking after my hubby but no uc or esa but am having a home visit soon. To make sure I continue to get pip. So not sure what I'm entitled to..
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,447 Disability Gamechanger

    If you receive carers allowance for looking after your hubby then the PIP claim is his and not yours. The home assessment for PIP will be a review for your husband, not you.

    Does your husband work, is this the reason you don't claim any UC or ESA? Does your husband claim ESA? You seem very confused as you think the PIP assessment if for yourself to make sure you continue to claim it.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,447 Disability Gamechanger
    Or does your husband receive the carers allowance for looking after you? and it's your PIP claim?
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Connected
    Or it could well be that both husband AND wife each receive PIP and both of them claim Carers Allowance for looking after each other.
  • 23talltrees23
    23talltrees23 Member Posts: 8 Connected
    @yodnad yes your right on both counts. He's not working due to an terminal told you it was confusing!!! 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.