PIP/JSA/Partner — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


TonyMon Member Posts: 17 Connected
edited October 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi I was awarded standard rate PIP in April this year. I have been on contribution based JSA for 6 months but my class 1 entitlements have run out so I’m going onto income based JSA. Iv been told I can’t have this as my partner works 24 hours a week so my benefit will stop. Is there anything else I can claim like ESA or will I be in the same boat with the hours/NI contributions? Thanks Tony


  • TonyMon
    TonyMon Member Posts: 17 Connected
    It’s the daily living part I get
  • Saracen
    Saracen Member Posts: 66 Courageous
    Hi tony try going to turn2us website and look at their benefits checker fill in all your details and it will give u an idea what u can claim
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hi Tony
    You may have an entitlement to contributory ESA. It will depend on your national insurance contributions record. You must have worked in at least one of the two tax years before the year in which you claim. And so assuming you claim now this would be 2015/16 and 2016/17. There is a second condition that you must also satisfy and this is that you must have either paid or been credited with national insurance contributions in both of the two years, again likely to be 2015/16 and 2016/17. You can find out more about the contribution conditions on the entitledto website here.
    I suggest you do make a claim to contributory ESA and if it does not lead to a positive outcome you might like to get further advice.
    Finally, as Saracen says above there might be other entitlements available based on your income and other factors and I suggest you get a calculation done using the scope calculator here.
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • TonyMon
    TonyMon Member Posts: 17 Connected
    I worked the last 5 years full time, my contributions JSA has run out so does that mean I won’t be able to claim contributions ESA I’m confused 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,575 Disability Gamechanger
    No it doesn't mean this. Contributions based JSA is paid for 6 months. Contributions based ESA is paid for 365 days unless you're placed into the supprt group. If you've paid enough NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years then you'll be able to claim ESA if you have a limited capability for work because ESA is different to JSA. To claim ESA you will need a fit/sick note from your GP.
  • TonyMon
    TonyMon Member Posts: 17 Connected
    Ok thanks Poppy we’re in a full UC area now but we’re still on tax credits if I apply for ESA will I have to go on UC is this a good thing or bad :/
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,575 Disability Gamechanger
    UC is a means tested benefit. Contributions based ESA isn't means tested so no you don't claim UC. As your area is a full UC then it's New style contributions based ESA you need to claim. It's a different phone number to the old style contributions based ESA. See this link and please make sure you read it because it tells you exactly what to do if you live in a full UC area.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.