My friend lost their ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

My friend lost their ESA

Lolipopjunior Member Posts: 4 Connected
A friend of mine receives personal Independence Payments she also gets Employment and Support Allowance along with sdp severe disablement premium. She has had a medical for employment and support allowance  she has scored 0 points how can this be. From one side of the spectrum serious disablement to absolutely nothing is beyond my thoughts.What to do now she isn't very competent at reading and writing.I say that with respect any help or advice would be very welcomed


  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,946 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Lolipopjunior welcome to the community!

    Sorry to hear what has happened to your friend, this must be very stressful for her. I am unsure of what advice to give you so I don't want to give you the wrong advice. Other members of the community will be able to help you and will be in contact with you soon.

    Please let us know if there is anything else that we can help you with :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Tarbatness
    Tarbatness Member Posts: 17 Connected
    Hi @Lolipopjunior
    It sounds as if your friend has had a Works Capability Assessment, which is part and parcel of ESA, she needs to ask the DWP to re-consider the decision, but it must be done within one month of the date on the decision letter. As she has difficulty in communicating, maybe you can do it on her behalf. If the reconsideration request is unsuccessful, then she can appeal the decision at an independent tribunal (if this happens, best get help from  Citizens Advice or other organisation and keep copies of everything).
  • Lolipopjunior
    Lolipopjunior Member Posts: 4 Connected
    Thank you ever so much I will follow your guidelines and see the lady and seek if she wishes me to help her. The lady has been given stronger medications because her condition is worsening so I really can't see why she scored 0 points, again thank you very much for your help I will ask this lady if she wishes to proceed with the mandatory reconsideration. 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.