Any tips for throbbing legs in bed at night? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Any tips for throbbing legs in bed at night?

grannypants1957
grannypants1957 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi everyone. .anyone any tips for throbbing legs in bed at night, I have acute sciatica, herniated disc, and 2 rib fractures. 
Many thanks

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @grannypants1957

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @grannypants1957 welcome to the community!

Has your GP suggested anything?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • grannypants1957
    Yes. I take dihydracodeine, and gabapentin. This isnt touching the pain. Awaiting an MRI. nightime is torture. .
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Im so sorry to hear this @grannypants1957
    I hope you don't think this is patronising but have you ever tried meditation? I have chronic pain and though meditation obviously doesnt stop the pain, I do find it can help relax me more at night and help with sleeping. 

I am aware how frustrating it is when people suggest things like this as sometimes it feels like your pain is not being treated seriously but I just wanted to add some kind of suggestion as it has been useful for me when I was at my wits end. This is to complement any medication or treatment from doctors not to replace anything.

There are tons of free meditation videos on youtube and it could be worth a try?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • grannypants1957
    Thank you. Yes im open to everything alternative . Im very spiritual . I will try some meditation. I have an app on my phone for this, but havent used it yet. I feel im tolerant to my meds, and not getting reief, but at night i seems to get worse. 
    Many thanks for your support and reply. 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    I use ibuprofen for calf cramps but that might not be strong enough. Voltarol gel works well for same but I have to apply at least 25g.
  • grannypants1957
    Thank you matilda.  The doctor has upped my medication. Ibuorofen 600mg 3 times a day.. and my co codamol is now split. 40mg of codeine per tablet, as opposed to it being 30/500 in the one tablet. So fingers crossed i get a better sleep.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    I get what I think is restless legs and it mainly happens at night in bed when I’m trying to sleep. I’m also on Gabapentin for fibromyalgia. While trying to reduce my dose to try to reduce some side effects I decided to try hemp oil capsules and although I cant say it helped with the pain I have found some relief from taking it. For example my restless legs are as bad. I’m starting to feel less anxious which helps my pain management. It’s been about 2 months on the capsules. I also use meditation through binaural beats on YouTube and there is an app available as well for binaural beats. I’m not keen on talking meditation that’s why I like it. However I do also enjoy Hoponono meditation on YouTube as well. Basically these are distraction relaxation techniques. I’ve heard that magnesium baths help various conditions but haven’t tried it. I also use weighted bedding which usually is half on half off lol
  • debbiedo49
    I can’t tolerate codeine based meds or ibuprofen as it upsets my ibs
  • grannypants1957
    Omg debbie. Its a vicious circle. I have a hiatus hernia and asthma, so ibrufen isnt ideal. I have the biaural beats, havent used it for a while, but defo going ro try the meditation. And i also have gabapentin. I have nerve damage coming from trapped nerves in my neck. The quicker i get my mri the better. Need to get my pain medication sorted once and for all. . X
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    It's amazing how pain goes if I'm distracted!  I'm not distracted often enough, though.
  • debbiedo49
    That’s very true I need some distraction lol
  • Rhonda75
    Rhonda75 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi everyone. .anyone any tips for throbbing legs in bed at night, I have acute sciatica, herniated disc, and 2 rib fractures. 
    Many thanks

Pregablin. I myself suffer sciatica + 6/7, bulging disc and pregablin or lyrica was the only tablet that helped + I've tried many tablets over 20 YRS + got addicted to some tablets as well, but I react you ask your doc to try you in these. 
  • debbiedo49
    I take gabapentin which is similar to prevailing.
  • grannypants1957
    Thank you. Now have gabapentin, helping me so much better than other stuff. 
  • debbiedo49
    It doesn’t help me though lol

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.