Hi, my name is cjoy88317! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is cjoy88317!

Options
cjoy88317
cjoy88317 Community member Posts: 16 Listener
Hello everyone 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @cjoy88317
    Welcome to the community :) Do you want to tell us a bit about yourself?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • cjoy88317
    Options
    Happy too I’m 40 years old and a father of 4 I have been suffering with cerebellur ataxia for about 2 years which is a rare neurological disorder affecting balance coordination and speech to name a few I feel an online community will be a good source of advice and support 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's great to meet you! We have a friendly and supportive community here so jump in and get involved, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @cjoy88317 welcome to the community!

I have Ataxia however neurologists can't specify which type, I did have major co-ordination issues however these have improved over time with intensive physiotherapy :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • cjoy88317
    Options
    I am in the 100000 genenode project for a long research project to find which type I have, I am now using a walker eventually in a wheelchair but exercise has been a great help 
  • Ami2301
    Options
    I recall another member being in the same project, I will have a look to see if I can find them! I can now walk about 1m with a walking frame but mInly use a powered wheelchair. Do you use Lycra sleeves/shorts to help with the co-ordination? I do and they have helped me improve so much! :)
  • cjoy88317
    Options
    I have never heard of them shorts do tell me more 
  • cjoy88317
    Options
    Any chance u could share with ur mobility history and the stages u went through 
  • Ami2301
    Options
    I will have a look for the packet that they came in then tell you a bit more about them - I'm still looking for Lycra shorts a bit similar to what cyclists wear.

Sure, not a problem.

I think it was late March last year that I started to have balance issues. Over the coming months I was beginning to walk like a 'drunk' and had terrible foot placement. September time I became wheelchair bound. Then having quite a few falls. 

I did go to the Neurology Hospital in London for various tests such as spinal MRI, brain MRI, lumbar puncture, blood tests, nerve tests. My diagnosis was I had severe nerve damage and Ataxia. However, I have had to battle against Transverse Myelitis, meaning my spinal cord became inflamed. Affecting the cervical and thoracic region. I had to learn to reach, sit up, stand up and walk again. Which I have done but overall it's took 6/7 months to do this.
  • cjoy88317
    Options
    Blimey u have had a rough time over a short period, really appreciate u telling me ur story I don’t know anyone with this condition 
  • Ami2301
    Options
    Cerebellar Ataxia or Transverse Myelitis?

Quite a few members have the same type of Ataxia as yourself!
  • cjoy88317
    Options
    CA, Just chatting to people with disabilities is new for me too
  • Ami2301
    Options
    I know what you mean, felt so overwhelmed when I first joined, but 8 months later I have gotten to know some pretty amazing people. To begin with you think you're alone, but on here you're not :)
  • Ami2301
    Options
    By the way I just looked at the packet that my Lycra sleeves came in, I think it is DMO but NHS referred me to them so it might be worth talking to your GP about? 
  • cjoy88317
    Options
    That’s very comforting. As much as people say they understand people don’t who aren’t in the same situation or have the same condition really don’t know 
  • cjoy88317
    Options
    Awesome thanks 
  • Ami2301
    Options
    Hit the nail on the head there! Let us know if you have any luck with the Lycra! :)
  • cjoy88317
    Options

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.