Is there a doctor out there who can help me? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Is there a doctor out there who can help me?

ClareAnn Member Posts: 1 Listener
I have learning disabilities and I've osteoarthritis in my back and my 1st, 2nd and 3rd vertebrae are wearing away and I've arthritis in both my knees. My doctor will not get me a second opinion. He agrees with the specialist that won't get on with knee replacements.  My O.T was left, Surrey and I need to get a new one. I have a mobility scooter to get around and I get dirty looks. I am taking a lot of different tablets for my back but I still get pains in my back, legs and knees. I also have nerve damage in my back. Is there a doctor out there who can help me?    


  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Member, Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,945 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ClareAnn welcome to the community!

    Sorry to hear this. Unfortunately we are not medical professionals so we cannot advise. Have you tried to see a different doctor?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • skyblue59
    skyblue59 Member Posts: 13 Connected
    Hi clareAnne. Maybe you could look into alternative therapy like holistic and stuff. For extra help.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    The spine has 3 sections Cervical (neck), Thoracic (upper back) and Lumbar (lower back) all start numbering from one so, for example you might have problems the bone at L1 or the disc between L1-L2. Your description doesn't say which section and the effects vary a lot. Just so people are aware if C1, C2, C3, C1-2 or C2-C3 get damaged death is pretty much guaranteed and if C3-C4 goes the sufferer would likely need breathing assistance for life. Alternatively if L1 goes then the pain is fairly low. The position is very important to know, lol!

    Sorry if that seemed a bit ott. :smile:

    I am not a doctor just quite intelligent and have lots of spare time to look things up.

    Your OT report is very important so get one as soon as possible. You can self refer in which case they will contact your GP to check up or your GP can refer you. If you are unhappy with you GP you could try contacting the Practice Manager or send a written complaint to the same person. If none of this works try contacting NHS England and ask them to help of to create an official complaint.

    Hope this helps.

    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.