Income support or universal credit — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Income support or universal credit

Firefly123 Member Posts: 525 Pioneering
Hi I got a letter asking if I would like to change from income support to universal credit as my area is now live says I can stay on income support until they get to me then I would have to change over. 
Would I have to go to see a work coach ect I'm a carer of 3 young adults so have more than enough to do being all 3 's carer and appointees
Any advice please 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,607 Disability Gamechanger

    Hmm a letter "asking" if you'd like to change to UC? Well this is a new one lol and i've not heard of this before. Those claiming a legacy benefit such as Income support won't have to change to UC for the managed migration until at least 2019 but may even be much later than that.

    My advice... say NO thanks! Honestly, stay on Income support, unless a change of circumstances prompts a move to UC then you're better of staying where you are, at least until you have no option but to move. Hope this helps.
  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Member Posts: 525 Pioneering
    They thought I had a change as my daughter is 16 but I sent the evidence away showing she is staying in education but it disappeared so they stopped my child benefit which stopped my child tax credit got it all sorted now and today received that but they had agreed that their was no change in circumstance. 

    Thanks @poppy123456


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.