Crest syndrome — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Crest syndrome

bobbin
bobbin Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Does anyone have this or know anything about it. Thanks

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @bobbin

The rare diseases website says:

"CREST syndrome, also known as limited scleroderma, is a widespread connective tissue disease characterized by changes in the skin, blood vessels, skeletal muscles, and internal organs. 

CREST is an acronym
    (C) - Calcinosis: calcium deposits in the connective tissues
    (R) - Raynaud's phenomenon: where the hands and feet turn white and cold and then blue, in response to cold or anxiety
    (E) - Esophageal dysfunction resulting in swallowing difficulty
    (S) - Sclerodactyly: thick and tight skin on the fingers, caused by an excess of collagen deposits within skin layers. 
    (T) - Telangiectasia: small red spots on the hands and face that are caused by the swelling of tiny blood vessels. 

CREST syndrome is believed to be an autoimmune disorder, where the immune system appears to stimulate the production of too much collagen which builds up in the skin and internal organs, impairing their function. There is no cure. Current treatment focuses on relieving signs and symptoms and preventing complications."

I dont think any other members have mentioned CREST before though.  Is this something you have? Can you tell us a bit more?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • bobbin
    bobbin Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Gp thinks I may have it so seeing rheumatology on 22 Nov  I've had problems with fingers for eight years now it's on toes.  I get white lumps which get infected if not dressed each day. I have had to be hospitalised to have wash outs and intravenous antibiotics. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.