Funding for a wet room or adaption for bath — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Funding for a wet room or adaption for bath

livonia Member Posts: 74 Courageous
Hi there I’m bidding on general needs social housing I’ve not been flagged in need of adapted bathroom even though I currently have a wet room. With my fatigue I struggled previously with getting out of a bath but I can sometimes manage it. I only have wet room here it’s much easier with a stool and low shower. But I private let..previous people had it installed .. so my question is has anyone been able to get help putting a wet room or adapted bath/ seat in thei social housing?  Just thinking through possibilities if and when I move. 


  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Do you have an Occupational Therapist @livonia ? It may be worth speaking to them and the council about your needs.

    You could look into a disabled facilities grant - You could get a grant from your council if you’re disabled and need to make changes to your home, for example to:
    • widen doors and install ramps
    • improve access to rooms and facilities - eg stairlifts or a downstairs bathroom
    • provide a heating system suitable for your needs
    • adapt heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use

    Anyone who is claiming Housing Benefit and requires more help with housing costs can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP). DHPs provide extra money when your council decides that you need extra help to meet your housing costs. Your council will look at your circumstances to see whether you are eligible for a DHP. 

    Contact the Housing Benefit department at your local council for more information. You will be required to complete an income and expenditure form and provide supporting evidence that you are unable to meet your housing costs from your available income. DHPs are discretionary and there is no right of entitlement or any right of appeal if your application is refused. However, you can ask the council to reconsider a decision.
    Senior online community officer
  • mehrfarbig
    mehrfarbig Member Posts: 33 Connected
    I'd ask to be put as needing level access shower. I'm in a council house as they call it, and disabled facilities grant can't be used.

    Big adaptions involve endless begging. I'm still begging at minute, may end up funding it all myself.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.