I wasn't awarded PIP, what do I do next? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I wasn't awarded PIP, what do I do next?

redhead78
redhead78 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited October 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
hi all im applied for pip 16 weeks ago 5 weeks ago went to nottingham for the assessment ive got upper and lower back pain ive got really bad depression anxiety and stress also im a alcoholic and have Astma and exma ;and very bad exma i thing they have took far too long ive heared other folk get this in 8 weeks phoned again today and they not awared me it i won my esa a year ago what too do next

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @redhead78 welcome to the community!

Sorry  to hear what has happened, will you be appealing the decision?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @redhead78 So sorry what has happened.

My concern is for you at the moment. Regarding your addiction and your mental health.

I have an addiction history been clean eleven years but it is hard and not easy.  Been an alcoholic for thirty years.

Things like this do not make it easier. You have any support with this. I understand how it can be difficult.

Coping with addiction and mental health. Trust me I have been there .

What is need right now is the right support and the correct way forward.

As my friend @Ami2301 added you need to appeal and you need some support through this.

We have information about appealing a DWP benefits decision on our website.

Which I hope you might find useful.

Please can I suggest look on line for any support you might need for your alcoholism and mental health.

I know I contacted a local mental health charity and they helped with not only my mental health but my alcoholism as well.

Even though I was coping and being clean. They advised and offered my self guidance. Information and advice.

Especially if I needed any support with this.  Lots of the mental health charities have addiction counsellors and therapists plus many also have support groups and can sign post you to the correct information and support.

Understand if and when you decide to do this.  I know it maybe finding to go down the path of recovery difficult and some what anxious.

I know this myself. I am a proud gentleman but most of my support were ladies so getting help and support is the priority. Then I need to do this.

All I can add am always her ready to listen and be what ever choice you decide.

I will always respect that.  Do know that.

Pleasure to meet you

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @redhead78

A very very big welcome to our Community/Family.

I am one of the “Community Champions” here on our site.

I’m very sorry to hear about your current problems.

We have got some great info on “PIP” here on the site.

https://search.scope.org.uk/s/redirect?collection=scope-meta&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.scope.org.uk%2Fsupport%2Fdisabled-people%2Fbenefits%2Fpip&index_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.scope.org.uk%2Fsupport%2Fdisabled-people%2Fbenefits%2Fpip&auth=OdCmUepX8Eu01lD6Q10Fhg&profile=_default&rank=1&query=Pip

• redhead78
    redhead78 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    thanks for the comment really helped listen to you and the other person who commented yes i will appeal but just seems its allways me that gets the hard way round when it comes to dwp i forget things aswell all which ive told my doctor they just say stop drinking easyer said than done the points they give you mean noting in them assessment place its like your in front of a judge i had a blood clot and really serious infection on my arm they only stoped me weeks then back to drinking again the most worry thing apart from my other problems is my depression its been quite bad over the last few months i never smile have no go in me thanks for you support  
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @redhead78

“No probs” that’s what we are all here for.

Your not on your own!!

I will put our helpline number here for you: 0808 800 3333.

They are a good place to start to be honest.

Please please let me know if I can help you further.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2018
    Hello @redhead78 Thanks for your reply. we are here to support you..  Offer words of comfort and reassurance if I can.

Understand around the memory problems around Alcoholism. This is me now thirty years on. Memory all hazy and forgetful.

I know effected me mentally and physically.  You are not alone.

Do know what you are going through and all around this.  The depression, infections and memory problems.

Try if I can be supportive.  If I can.

It is difficult to go forward and even though I had Doctors telling me.  The ultimatums    Moved forward and to recovery .  Had to make that choice live or die.

First time entered rehab even then admitted not got an issue.  Only after a initial chat then they offered me a choice . Get the help and support or be released.  From the rehab that day and  to an uncertain future .

Best thing I ever did.  Go to rehab and  it is was I will admit.  Scary, anxious and all the feelings, emotions all around it. Took me eighteen months to recover and even moved away. Just to start a fresh the choice I had was want to live. Over come and found my own path.

It is never easy always small steps and found people just like me and you .  Members of communities all suffering ill and needed help. Began the long trail and road. Many stones cast in front of me but it is never easy to have stones in front of you.

Hard working, decent kind people who have been blighted by addiction.  All I can say.

Wish you the very best in what ever you decide to do.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community, @redhead78!

So sorry to hear about your PIP outcome. If you're thinking about appealing, this Scope page on appeals may help you to get started. Have a read, and feel free to come back to us with any questions.

https://youtu.be/4sOsiEFo-Ck

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.