Blue badge — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Blue badge

70_Annie
70_Annie Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi I've been getting a blue badge for 15yrs ,2yrs ago had to had a mobilti test to receive it and now reapplied but have been turned down as my PIP I get mobility standard rate but only get 4 points for walking distance even though he never asked me in my PIPassessment. I get a goal of 8 points between the 2 categories.  Do anyone know if I Can appeal,cheers 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @70_Annie
    I am sorry to hear this. You can ask the DWP to look at the decision again – this is called a mandatory reconsideration.
    • It's best to do this in writing and give reasons why you disagree. The address to write to is on the decision letter you have received.
    • You must do this within a month of the date of the original decision.

DWP will look at your claim and tell you their new decision.

• You have a month to ask for an appeal if you are still unhappy.
    • This must be in writing and it's best to appeal using form SSCS1 (pdf download). Download the pdf of guidance notes to help you.
    • You must state your reason for the appeal clearly and forward any supporting evidence as soon as possible – do not wait for the hearing.

If you need advice on completing this you may call HMCTS on 0300 123 1142.

You can download Form SSCS1 (pdf)  or get a paper copy from your local Citizen's Advice Bureau and Jobcentre Plus office.

You must complete sections 1, 2, 5, 6 and 8. Use black ink and block capitals.

Section 5 is where you must state your reasons for your appeal. You must write down the reasons why you think the decision is wrong. Your reasons do not have to be lengthy or written in legal language, but you need to say more than just 'I disagree'. Explain simply why you think the decision is incorrect and what you believe the correct decision should be.

Send your appeal to HM Courts and Tribunals Service. If you live in England or Wales you should send your appeal to:

HMCTS SSCS Appeals Centre
    PO Box 1203
    Bradford
    BD1 9WP

Telephone: 0300 123 1142

Don't forget to sign the form and enclose your mandatory reconsideration decision letter.

We have information on appeals here and you might like to watch this video.  If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to get in touch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sOsiEFo-Ck

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • chrisvanf
    chrisvanf Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    edited October 2018
    Hi @70_Annie.
    Sorry to hear that you didn't get the points you were expecting.

Is it possible for you to apply for a Blue Badge, and then go to the assessment if an assessment is needed. Or have you been turned down after you went for a Blue Badge assessment.

I applied online and was asked to go on an assessment, I received my Blue Badge shortly after the assessment.

I received my BB before I got my PIP decision. 

Hope this helps

Edited, re-edited, bits added, bits taken out spellchecked then edited again, 
  • 70_Annie
    Ok thanks for turned down online so maybe I need to contact them for an assessment or wait for my new PIP assessment as both run out at the same time,thanks
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

To automatically qualify for a blue badge with PIP you need to score at least 8 points in the moving around part of mobility PIP, as you haven't got this then it will depend on the criteria of your local council. If you didn't have an assessment for a blue badge then you should have, as you don't automatically qualify but evidence will be needed to support your claim.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • 70_Annie

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.