Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
ESA Underpayment rebate
Hello. I'm one of those affected by the error in being moved from incapacity benefit to contribution based esa (support group) in 2011. I received a letter and form some weeks ago informing me that I may have been entitled to income based and after filling it in and returning it, I received an award notice and a rebate of £629. I phoned the dwp who couldn't give me a breakdown of what elements the payment was for other than "underpayment of income based esa" It's my understanding that the crux of all underpayments are because people who should have received the enhanced disability premium didn't because they were incorrectly denied income based esa and therefore were receiving these premiums as backdated rebates. If that's the case, surely I should have received closer to the £8000 mark? The amount I actually received seems to be very odd! Can anyone shed any light on the ins & outs? Thanks
- 52.8K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 148 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.7K Children, parents, and families
- 756 Work and employment
- 574 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 275 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 263 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.1K Talk about money
- 2K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.4K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 673 Chronic pain and pain management
- 697 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 748 Autism and neurodiversity
- 923 Mental health and wellbeing
- 297 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
Do you need advice on your energy costs?
Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.