My husband was on ESA and then was awarded PIP - would he be entitled to anything back from his ESA? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My husband was on ESA and then was awarded PIP - would he be entitled to anything back from his ESA?

Traceysou
Traceysou Community member Posts: 2 Listener
My husband was on contribution based ESA upto March 2015 then was awarded PIP which he currently gets would he be entitled to anything back from his ESA claims prior to this?

Comments

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @Traceysou,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you here.

Is this regarding the recent ESA underpayments that were announced recently? 

If so, the Government has published a document on the ESA underpayments which might be of interest to you. They say:
    "Largely between January 2011 and October 2014 some people receiving Incapacity Benefit and Severe Disablement Allowance had their claims converted to contributory ESA. However, the possibility of whether they may also have been entitled to income-related ESA was not considered for all cases. This means they may have missed out on the payment of premiums, such as the Enhanced Disability Premium."

I hope this helps. Do let us know if you have any other questions!

Liam
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,926 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

That totally depends on circumstances, with such little information it's impossible to advise further.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Traceysou
    Traceysou Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited October 2018
    Hi I can try and provide more he was unemployed after redundancy but due to osteoporosis arthritis he was signed off sick as needed to have both hips replaced in near future he claimed ESA during that time before being awarded PIP in 2015 he was only given ESA for a year before DWP stopped it despite his doctor still providing notes to say he was unable to work. If there's any mode info that can help please let me know
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,926 Disability Gamechanger
    The under payments are concerning those that transferred from Incapacity benefit. As he was working up until he claimed ESA then no he's not one of those that were underpaid.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.