Green Card Scheme — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Green Card Scheme

ellie_mae
ellie_mae Community member Posts: 23 Connected
Hi all
I've come across a strange anomaly with my council's green card scheme, I have had a Green Card since the 70's due to an unscheduled move, I lost it. I have put out an inquiry to the relevant council dept who have changed computer systems and not transferred data over, thus having to re apply.
The anomaly is they refuse to accept my DLA award as proof of my disabilities, the only proof they will accept is a GP letter listing my health issues and reasons for me to have a Green card. 
Every other Local Authority dept I have dealings with readily accept the fact that high rate mobility and medium rate care is proof of my issues, even the blue badge scheme.
Also the only place you can apply for and pick up a Green Card is the very busy customer service centre which is in the town centre, blue badges can be organised in local centres but not green cards.
Does anyone else have this issue?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I have no idea what a green card is, i'm sorry. Having googled the green card, it doesn't give any information as to what it could be. My only thoughts are it could possibly be a card that registers you as disabled am i correct?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi

The green card, was a card given to disabled people, so they could prove they were disabled! It was scrapped over twenty years ago. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    atlas46 said:
    Hi

The green card, was a card given to disabled people, so they could prove they were disabled! It was scrapped over twenty years ago. 
    Thanks, yes i thought it was but didn't want to suggest that in case i was wrong.  There's no such thing as registering as disabled anymore.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ellie_mae
    There is in Hull, pink card for children, green for adults. It still exists here but the only proof they will accept is a doctor's letter. I had emailed the council regarding this and I received a telephone call this morning which confirmed it.
    Whether it is still a Green colour or not, it enables bus and train concessions among other things.
  • ellie_mae
    They also do a purple one, it is on the hull city council website.
    I receive both benefits and services from the council and also my blue badge renewals all of which accept DLA award letter as proof but not adult services, they even have a colour and category for different disabilities e.g. sight impaired, hearing impaired, learning disability, physical disability and children. No idea what they do if you do not fit nicely into one of their boxes.
  • Debra_Lorraine
    Debra_Lorraine Community member Posts: 15 Connected
    You you can get a yellow card if you have a blue badge
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    What dose the yellow card do please
  • Debra_Lorraine
    disabled access and reduction in ticket prices access  and let you bring a carer if you need help.  Not everywhere will give you this but a lot do
  • ellie_mae
    Where do you get it from please  @Debra_Lorrainne, is it a local council card?
    I haven't heard of this one
  • Debra_Lorraine
     Mine is from Hampshire county council.  You ask the same people that provided your  Blue disabled badge 
  • ellie_mae
    Not in Hull you don't, what started as a straightforward task has turned into a battle.
    In hon you provide a GP letter stating all your medical issues and they decide whether you deserve the holy card and which box to put you in. Crazy

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.