What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Can I get any financial allowance for help with housework?

MuseumvolunteerMuseumvolunteer Member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi, I'm new here, I'm 66 and have had fibromyalgia for approx. 35 years and back problems for about 40 years. In recent years the fibro. has required pain medication every day and, after severe back-pain spasms last year and now constant pain, a consultant has diagnosed degenerative lumbar spondylosis. I'm determined to keep doing as much as I can, with the help of relevant medication and physio exercises but the housework in our farmhouse just finishes me off, especially before/when visitors come! I can't afford to pay a regular cleaner because my pension is basic, and I contribute a small amount to the weekly household bills, although I manage to save a little bit to get a friend to help occasionally. My husband is semi-retired, but still has the farm to run, and cannot afford to give me anything because he pays most of the major bills.
Compared to many others, I know I'm very lucky, but unfortunately can only see activities getting more difficult.  Do you think there's any hope of me getting a small addition to my pension, or any benefit to help me out, please? 


  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger

    Any means tested benefits you're entitled to on top of your pension will depend on household income for both yourself and your husband. I know you say that he can't afford to give you anything because of the household bills but claiming a means tested benefit means both pensions are counted as income. Pension credit is possible but this will depend on your pensions.

    Do you claim DLA/PIP or Attendance Allowance?
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 5,417 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP/AA may be an answer but you may also want to read https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_abuse. Being a farmer is tough in the UK but so is being part of a farm household and the fact there are bills to pay does not mean things are as good as they could be. I’m not saying this is definitely that sort of case. I am saying you need to be part of the financial management of your own life.
  • MuseumvolunteerMuseumvolunteer Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank you both for your information.  I've now looked into these suggested benefits, and Pension Credit, but I don't think that I'd qualify at present (apparently PIP is only applicable until age 64) and, although certain aspects of AA might apply, I somehow doubt it. Many thanks, anyway.
  • Pippa_ScopePippa_Scope Member Posts: 5,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community, @Museumvolunteer!

    Thanks for sharing this with us. I wonder if it's worth discussing your concerns about keeping on top of things with your GP? Even if you're not entitled to financial assistance, it may be that there are local services or social care that you're entitled to?
  • MuseumvolunteerMuseumvolunteer Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi Pippa,
    Funnily enough I recently had to see our Practice Nurse (our surgery is closing soon and I haven't had a dedicated, i.e. "my", GP for ages!).  She actually mentioned various types of possible financial assistance, although these now seem inapplicable.  I'm supposed to be seeing her again in a couple of weeks, so I'll raise your suggestions with her.
    Many thanks for your help.
Sign in or join us to comment.