Change to award term — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Change to award term

Options
Saracen
Saracen Community member Posts: 66 Pioneering
edited October 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all 
Phoned pip yesterday to see if there was any decision on my claim still no news but I explained waiting is killing me and believe it or not im even started worrying about my award term (if im.successful) if its for 2 years then I got to go through this again next year .
To which he replied that the government have now changed the rules if you are successful and get enhanced on both if your condition is deemed to not improve they are now awarding ongoing awards so you will be reviewed in 10 years .
To which I replied that atleast I will have 9 years peace he said no they will review you in the tenth year.
Anyone heard of this and was he just trying to make me feel more at ease.

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Saracen

The government did report this in June:
    New guidance coming into effect this summer means people who are awarded the highest level of support under PIP – and where their needs are expected to stay the same or increase – will receive an ongoing award of PIP with a light touch review every 10 years. 

The change will ensure that those with severe or progressive conditions receive an award which reflects the fact that their condition will not improve.

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sam_Scope said:
    Hi @Saracen

The government did report this in June:
    New guidance coming into effect this summer means people who are awarded the highest level of support under PIP – and where their needs are expected to stay the same or increase – will receive an ongoing award of PIP with a light touch review every 10 years. 

The change will ensure that those with severe or progressive conditions receive an award which reflects the fact that their condition will not improve.

They mention conditions, PIP is about the impact surely?
    You can have a severe or progressive condition but the impact on your life can change for many reasons over a period of 10 years - improved medication, better/different treatments etc.

• mehrfarbig
    mehrfarbig Community member Posts: 33 Connected
    Options
    I imagine only this with conditions that will never improve or only get worse may qualify got this automatic 10 year thing. I imagine the list of conditions they'll have will be tiny as well as a lot of conditions may only qualify for low PIP at first then progress so they won't want to put people like that on 10 years.
    Sarah

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.