Sleep apnea — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Sleep apnea

brighthouse500 Member Posts: 13 Listener
Hi to all,
I have been diagnosed with sleep apnea I have a letter from hospital I need a sleep apnea mask have another hosp appointment.
Can I claim disability for this condition I must have had it since I was diagnosed with diabetes high blood pressure ect.



  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,673 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @brighthouse500

    PIP is about how your impairment affects you day to day rather than the impairment itself, there is a PIP self test you can try here that will ask questions to deem whether you could be entitled or not.]

    If you decide to apply, then here is how you go about it.

    You can make a new Personal Independence Payment (PIP) claim by calling the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

    Someone else can call on your behalf, but you’ll need to be with them when they call. There are also other ways to claim if you find it difficult to use a telephone.

    Claim by telephone or textphone

    Before you call, you’ll need:

    • your contact details, for example telephone number
    • your date of birth
    • your National Insurance number - this is on letters about tax, pensions and benefits
    • your bank or building society account number and sort code
    • your doctor or health worker’s name, address and telephone number
    • dates and addresses for any time you’ve spent abroad, in a care home or hospital

    You can then call the PIP claims line.

    DWP - PIP claims
    Telephone: 0800 917 2222
    Textphone: 0800 917 7777
    NGT text relay (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 917 2222
    Calling from abroad: +44 191 218 7766 
    Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
    Find out about call charges

    What happens next

    1. You’ll be sent a ‘How your disability affects you’ form. Call the PIPenquiry line if you need it in an alternative format such as braille, large print or audio CD.

    2. Fill in the form using the notes that come with it to help you. You can also read Citizens Advice’s help on filling in the form.

    3. Return the form to DWP - the address is on the form.

    4. To assess the level of help you need, an independent health professional will either invite you to a meeting or ask your health or social care worker for information.

    5. If you’re invited to a meeting, you’ll be asked questions about your ability to carry out activities and how your condition affects your daily life. The meeting can be either at your home or at an assessment centre, and will take about an hour. You can read Citizens Advice’s help on preparing for an assessment.

    6. You’ll get a letter that tells you whether you’ll get PIP. If you do, you’ll be told how much you’ll get and the date it will be reviewed so that you continue to get the right support.

    This information comes from the gov website.
    Senior online community officer


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.