Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

universal credit problems

kellzkellz Member Posts: 12 Listener
edited November 2018 in Universal Credit
Thank you for adding me,


  • steve51steve51 Member Posts: 7,175 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kellz

    Welcome to our “Community/online family”

    Please please have a good look around you will find this section of our site very very active.

    If there is anything that I can help you with please please let me know????

  • Ami2301Ami2301 Member Posts: 7,447 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kellz welcome to the c9mmunity!

    Would you like to tell us a bit about yourself? :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • kellzkellz Member Posts: 12 Listener
    Hi there not much to tell im 37 single parent i have 2 children /teenagers who are my world both have diffrant disability but iv never made any sort of deal about as i have just got on with wot us mums do best, i have never asked for help from any were up till now,im unable to work as i have a brain condition called (iih)im on treatment for this i find exercises have helped me deal with my illness as i dont have any support i do have a personal trainer witch i pay from my own money,i used to make a lot of cakes but due to illness and my family time iv stopped now thats all really nothing intresting .
  • Ami2301Ami2301 Member Posts: 7,447 Disability Gamechanger
    I am sorry to hear this @kellz, it sounds like a stressful time for you at the moment.

    Are you in receipt of any benefits?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • kellzkellz Member Posts: 12 Listener
    Hi its been hell to be honest i was made to claim universal credit at the time id started treatment id got a letter to claim temp job seekers allowence for 14 days so my rent would still be payed while my daughters pip award came bk from the courts as she was awarded so i went to the job center for advice tryed to explain they told me yes thats no problem we can put u back on ur old claim once ur daughters award letter came they lied id told them id just starded treatment for fluid on my brain so i was not taking in information as quickly as i would normaly but ye they told me nothing would change and i was then left 7 weeks with nothing i have been threw hell since my money has dropped every time its now gone to £600 for this month iv begged and pleaded for help and the messagers iv had on the online jounal are a dissgrace to be fare i just feel so low and depressed i can not life on the money my kids get pip but that is there money witch gets them clothes and things cause they dont go out the house my son has been taken off my universal credit now i owe rent arreas now with christmas round the coner thats another worrie i really can not cope to be honest its all been hit on me all at once its taken affect with my own health but i need to be better to look after my 2 kids im sorry i must come across as a nightmere u would not belive wot iv had to go threw i wish i could just show u to see fornurself its unreal .
  • Ami2301Ami2301 Member Posts: 7,447 Disability Gamechanger
    Oh I am so sorry @kellz I just want to give you a big hug!

    Deep breaths. I can promise you we will help you as much as we can, there are amazing and knowledgeable members within the community. They may not be on here everyday but you will get advice, I hope this reassures you.

    It is overwhelming when everything happens at once, one thing at a time :)

    Have you spoken to your local CAB? They are really helpful!
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • steve51steve51 Member Posts: 7,175 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kellz

    I’m so sorry to hear about your current problems/situation!!!!!

    I have also had “Brain Problems” since“1998”

    Please please let me know if I can help/support you further?????

  • kellzkellz Member Posts: 12 Listener
    Aww thank you im just so lost atm i carnt think strait or sleep properly its just hit me all at once i really dont know were to turn iv been for help from cab after i waited 3 weeks for the lady who took my case to come her holiday she told me it is wot it is deal with it i was quit shocked to be honest i just dont know who to go to to sort my benifits out someone mentioned the mp but im not sure were to start as iv got so much to go threw letters iv asked them to look at for me as i should not be on uc yet being a carer iv copyed all the joural messagers just dont know who to go to for help .so sorry i never complain its just good to finally speak to someone about this .
  • Ami2301Ami2301 Member Posts: 7,447 Disability Gamechanger
    @poppy123456 are you able to help out @kellz?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Once you've claimed UC & started getting it the law says you can't go back on the old benefits, but there is a legal challenge about this for people who are getting less money on UC, so I suggest that you try to get help to join in with that challenge if the same circumstances apply to you. I've explained more about this below.

    At one point you said your son had been taken off your UC, do you know why? That doesn't sound right if he is under 18 & living with you. Is it because he is older? I think we'd need more details to know if that was right or not.

    If your son is too old for you to claim benefits for him (that would be if Child Benefit for him has stopped as well, probably), then can he claim money in his own right? That might have to be Universal Credit too, and he'd probably need help to make the claim, but at least then there would be more money coming in.

    From what I can tell from your posts above it sounds like maybe your old benefits (carer's allowance and income support?) may have stopped when your daughter had to challenge the DWP to get her PIP? And maybe that is why you have ended up on UC. If you are on less money as a result, then there is a case about the lack of protection for people who can't go back onto their old benefits and don't get transitional protection. The case is a judicial review, and it hasn't been heard yet (you can read about it here).

    Because there's a challenge to the policy I think it would be worth you doing something similar. I assume you do get carer's allowance now. It might be worth claiming Income Support and getting turned down, then challenging that decision & asking for it to be heard once the judicial review is heard. And/or if your UC is less than your IS, Child Tax Credit and housing benefit was, challenge your UC entitlement decisions too with the same argument - argue that you should get transitional protection if you've lost out because the DWP messed up your daughter's PIP (if that is why you've ended up on UC). 

    Things I would do:

    I would definitely go to your MP for help. Tell them that you need to challenge the decision about being on UC & not on your old benefits, & explain how you ended up on UC, & if it is less money get them to look into it & see what can be challenged - make sure you mention the judicial review

    Check what is going on with your son's benefits. If he should be on your UC claim, challenge that decision (ask for a mandatory reconsideration). If he's too old for you to get benefits for him now, then see what he can claim for himself (probably UC). Make sure there is no housing costs contribution coming off your UC for your son (there shouldn't be if he gets PIP).

    It sounds as if there may be a lot of deductions coming off your UC which make it less, maybe for an advance you had at the beginning of your claim, and/or for rent arrears? You can ask for these to be reduced so you pay things back more slowly. You should also ask your MP about this & point out the hardship you're under trying to manage on the reduced amount of UC.

    I hope some of these ideas help. One thing at a time, and do see your MP & tell them about it anyway - they need to know what a misery UC is for people. 

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2018
    Hi, @kellz

    Once you claim UC you can't go back and claim the old benefits unfortunately.

    Some questions are needed to be answered before any help can be given.

    Are you sending in fit/sick notes from your GP for your UC claim?

    What PIP award does your child receive?

    You say that your son has been taken off your UC claim? How old is he please?

    When you first claimed UC did you send DWP a copy of your tenancy agreement?
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • kellzkellz Member Posts: 12 Listener
    I have informed them of my health condition but due to the stress of sorting the situation out with my son adding another problem is confusing silly ano but one thing at a time its to much to take in if u understand as iv been going threw this for 7 months now , inconcerns to my son he turned 19 on the 14th july but due to his special needs he was put bk and the special school he was in could not keep him there jue to his age so he was sent to collage as a contiuer in full time education he has a statment post-19 ehc plan for age 19-25 i still get his child benifit for him and he is on enhanced care pip and low rate mobilty i get cares allowence for him witch u/c take the whole amout back ,he has just been reassed for his pip without him being there and was awarded it again his ehc plan is his safty net i was told he would have a choice to claim or contiue in full time education but he can not have both i find this degrading and heartless as he if dos not go to collage he has nothing .
  • kellzkellz Member Posts: 12 Listener
    Iv had no letters just on the journal messagers witch are hurendas i can never get any proper information apart from being pat from pillow to post i really have pleaded and begged them to sort my claim but nothing has been done .
  • kellzkellz Member Posts: 12 Listener
    My daughter is in recipe of pip she gets enhanced rate on both parts she still gos to school special needs collage school ,post 16 - she has grade 4 epilepsy so im really trying to struggle to cope with the 2 children on my own im so tierd i just need a rest to be honest as life should not be a struggle .
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    UC and full time students is different to tax credits. With UC the child element is paid up until 31st August after the young persons 19th birthday, then it stops. With child tax credits it continues until their 20th birthday, if they're in full time non advanced education. As your son is now 19 then you won't be entitled to the child element for him even though he is in full time education before he reached 19. It makes no difference how much you plead unfortunately, it still won't be paid.

    Child benefit is different and isn't part of UC so you'll continue to receive that until his 20th birthday providing he's in full time non advanced education.

    As he claims PIP then he can claim UC in his own rights, which he should do because he's classed as an adult now and not a dependent for UC purposes. If he claims UC then he'll need fit/sick notes from his GP and evidence to support his claim. If he claims UC in his own right then your child benefit for him will stop.

    As you're claiming Carers allowance then yes this amount is deducted from your UC payment BUT you need to check your online journal to see if the carers element is added. This is £156 per month. Carers Allowance are paying you the CA so it works out for this that you're £156 per month better off than you would be if you weren't a carer. Hope this helps.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
Sign in or join us to comment.