Financial help? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Financial help?

Kirstyann_3 Member Posts: 3 Listener
I wonder if anyone can assist in some advice. My husband should really be signed off work due to depression and making himself iller due to worrying about paying the mortgage . I work 24 hrs a week and we have a young child 


  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Member Posts: 6,389 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Kirstyann_3   Pleased to meet you welcome.

    Thank you for joining and sharing.  Sorry what has happened to your husband.

    I would consider asking the Doctor for support for dealing with your husbands depression.  Often seeking the right support and information can be useful. To deal with your husbands mental condition.

    Look on line for support and advice.  The MIND website is a informative website to start.

    I have mental health myself and do know how destressing this can be.  Also it is not easy to cope with as well.  For you and your family.

    We are here as a community help and give you support.  We are a friendly community. Care and share.

    Have a look at our on line benefit checker it is a handy tool which should be able to give you an idea of what your entitled to.

    You can also find out more information about benefits on our website.

    Please also consider speaking to CAB for anything further benefit enquiries.

    Please ask if we can advise.    On anything please ask.

    Pleasure to meet you.

    Take care

    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
  • Kirstyann_3
    Kirstyann_3 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank you will do. If he goes to the Dr he will have to stop working as he's a driver and can't take medication whilst doing his job so he knows when he goes there he will lose his job but also battling depression. I just had a warning of a scare as my Dr thought I was having a heart attack last week but was just stress related pain. That puts more stress on my husband with my worrying and stress. I looked into benefits but shows we would be entitled to only the sick pay which is stopping him from going to the Dr. We really don't know how the benefit system works but seems very low and I only earn what pays the mortgage 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,435 Disability Gamechanger

    Your husband should be entitled to SSP from his employer before he can claim any benefits like ESA. SSP is payable for 28 weeks and he will need a fit note from his GP to be able to claim this. Once he's claimed this then he'll be able to claim either Contributions based ESA or New Style Contributions based ESA which ever is in your area, IF he's paid enough national Insurance contributions in the previous 2 tax years. As you can't claim SSP and ESA together then he'll be able to claim the ESA 1 month before his SSP stops and he'll need the SSP1 for from his employer to be able to claim it, providing he qualifies.

    For your mortgage then you'll need to speak to your mortgage company if you're struggle to pay this.

    PIP maybe possible, as it's not means tested. He must have had the condition for 3 months and expect it to last at least a further 9 months. It's not awarded based on a diagnosis, but how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors. Evidence will be needed to support a claim and a face to face assessment is most likely as most have them. It's not guaranteed and a claim can take several months or more.

  • Kirstyann_3
    Kirstyann_3 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank you for your advice. I just need him to go drs and not worry out the money side as he is more important and also I think men struggle to admit depression etc. 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.