Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
I am in receipt of ESA and a homeowner with a mortgage
I have a mortgage on my home, I am up to date with my mortgage payments but my home in falling apart and I just afford to upkeep my payments and fix my home at the same time. I have some equity in my home, I cannot get another mortgage as I am chronically ill and I cannot work. What if my only option is to sell my home. Where do I live, can I continue to receive ESA, can I buy a part ownership home with my equity, is that even allowed. Can someone advise because I feel like I'm between a pillow and a post and my wellbeing is suffering. I actually feel like I don't want to live anymore because all the things that need fixing is too overbearing.
- 55.2K All Categories
- 10.8K Start here and say hello!
- 5.3K Coffee lounge
- 4.1K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.6K Research and opportunities
- 160 Community updates
- 12.3K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 837 Work and employment
- 600 Education
- 1.2K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1.1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 302 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 268 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 22.3K Talk about money
- 2.3K Benefits and financial support
- 4.5K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.8K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.7K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4.2K Talk about your impairment
- 1.4K Cerebral palsy
- 704 Chronic pain and pain management
- 718 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 773 Autism and neurodiversity
- 952 Mental health and wellbeing
- 314 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
Do you need advice on your energy costs?
Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.