Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

I am in receipt of ESA and a homeowner with a mortgage

I have a mortgage on my home, I am up to date with my mortgage payments but my home in falling apart and I just afford to upkeep my payments and fix my home at the same time. I have some equity in my home, I cannot get another mortgage as I am chronically ill and I cannot work. What if my only option is to sell my home. Where do I live, can I continue to receive ESA, can I buy a part ownership home with my equity, is that even allowed. Can someone advise because I feel like I'm between a pillow and a post and my wellbeing is suffering. I actually feel like I don't want to live anymore because all the things that need fixing is too overbearing.


  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,257 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome

    Do not despair, but you should get trained advice from CAB or similar
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • MRoalfMRoalf Member Posts: 8 Connected
    I know just how you feel, I don't have a mortgage because I live in a council house I am on ESA and have lost my Entitlement to DLA which I have relied on heavily since being awarded it in 1994. I am currently going through an appeal for PIP. I thank God that I have my rent paid directly to landlord because I am behind now on all bills including council tax and TV licence. All this due to a change in systems that the DWP use. I have in the past had reviews on payment and always got awarded payment, in fact last year I was diagnosed with siatica on top of other existing complaints. I feel suicidal most days and just don't know where to turn.  Thanks PIP.
  • Pippa_AlumniPippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,851 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MRoalf, I'm truly sorry to hear about your experiences and how you're feeling. 

    You are a member of our community and we appreciate you. If you are having thoughts of suicide, it is important that you discuss them with someone who is qualified to help. Please call the Samaritans on 116 123 (free) or email them at [email protected]. You might also benefit from reading MIND’s information on how you can help yourself.

    If you feel that you may be an immediate danger to yourself, please call 999 or go to your local hospital right away.

    I wonder if you've looked into Council Tax Reduction? It may be worth seeing if you're eligible!

Sign in or join us to comment.