PIP for depression was refused — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP for depression was refused

Gingernuts
Gingernuts Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited November 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I claimed for pips for depression but was refused when they sent me results nothing I said was on the form .I take 200mg of sertaine a day I have been offered councaling but refused it .do you think that's why I was turned down

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Gingernuts, and a warm welcome to the community!

So sorry to hear your application was unsuccessful. Are you appealing the decision?
  • markyboy
    markyboy Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    You cannot just get PIP because you have depression you have to prove that it affects your ability to carry out the descriptors laid out in the PIP criteria 
    Many people do not do the research before they fill the application form in and wonder why they get refused even tho they have medical issues
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    I claimed for pips for depression but was refused when they sent me results nothing I said was on the form .I take 200mg of sertaine a day I have been offered councaling but refused it .do you think that's why I was turned down

NO. It is more likely the case that the assessor felt that the impact of depression on your life did not fit any of the PIP descriptors - thus no points.

You are on the max of Sertraline.

You need to do a MR then if that fails go to appeal.
  • Laura99
    Laura99 Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
    Hi there, Gingernuts. Your medication will not affect the decision not to award you PIP. The fact that you declined counselling will not affect it, either.

PIP is awarded based on your non-ability to carry out various daily living activities as a result of your illness or disability. It is not awarded on the basis of a person's illness alone. You may not have completed your form correctly. Did you have a face-to-face assessment? It seems to me that you did, and that the assessor did not make an accurate reflection of your responses. This happens all the time so do not be downhearted. It happened to me and to countless others who have posted on this site. You will need a lot of courage but carry on as follows.

Your letter from the DWP will tell you that you should ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration. Do this now, and also find yourself a Benefits Advisor who will help you with the next stage, which is taking the DWP to a tribunal.

It is always worth having a tribunal. Nearly three quarters of the decisions initially made by the DWP are overturned at the tribunal stage, and the benefit award made will be backdated to the date of your original claim.

It took a whole year from my own original claim till I had my tribunal but I did end up with a PIP award and it was backdated.

I know it is hard with depression to face down the DWP but you will get support from many people on this site as you go through the process.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.