School attendence — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

School attendence

Naturalparent8 Member Posts: 6 Listener
edited November 2018 in Education
My son has school anxiety and his attendance is approx 50% and school are hell bent on prosecuting me. They tried last school yr but I got a letter from my GP which said my son has a condition which may mean he has to have time off school. He has an ehcp and been referred to cahms but they say they want more evidence. I have a recording of the head saying if a wheel chair users evidence was out of date they would take away the wheel chair. My GP says any more letters will be £18 each. 


  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,673 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Naturalparent8
    This is from the gov website:

    You or a healthcare professional should tell the school if your child has medical needs.

    If your child has a disability, the school must make ‘reasonable adjustments’to make sure they aren’t discriminated against.

    If your child can’t go to school

    If your child can’t attend because of illness or injury, your school and local council will provide support to make sure their education doesn’t suffer.

    The school’s role

    The school should:

    • let the local council know if your child is likely to be away from school for more than 15 school days
    • give the local council information about your child’s needs, capabilities and the programme of work
    • help them reintegrate at school when they return
    • make sure they’re kept informed about school events and clubs
    • encourage them to stay in contact with other pupils, eg through visits or videos

    The local council’s role

    If your child’s going to be away for a long time, the local council will make sure they get as normal an education as possible. This could include arranging:

    • home teaching
    • a hospital school or teaching service
    • a combination of home and hospital teaching

    The local council must make sure your child continues to get a full time education - unless part time is better for their health needs.

    The local council should also:

    • have a senior officer in charge of the arrangements and a written policy explaining how they’ll meet their responsibilities
    • make sure your child isn’t without access to education for more than 15 school days
    • arrange education from the start of your child’s absence if it’s clear they’re going to be away from school for long and recurring periods
    Senior online community officer


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.